In the morning, we visited Osaka Castle. It was a long walk-cum-climb up to Osaka castle from the station!
And we arrived! It was my first visit to a Japan Castle!
After visiting the castle, we continued hopped back on the train and headed for Miyajima. We took the Shinkansen to Hiroshima, transferred to JR Sanyo Line for Miyajimaguchi and took the ferry to Miyajima. (The ferry ride was also covered by the Japan Rail Pass.)
Miyajima is famous for its ‘floating’ tori gate. The tori was was not so ‘floating’ while we were there. So people seized the chance to walk down the beach to the foot of the tori gate.
Miyajima is one of the Japan 3 sights (日本三景).
I thought it was very well-deserving of the title, I love Miyajima – it was so beautiful!!
There were plenty of souvenir shops on the island.
We left Miyajima before it turned dark, and began the long ride back to Tokyo.
Other posts for this trip:
Day 2: Kyoto, Osaka
Day 3: Osaka, Miyajima, Tokyo
Day 4: Yokohama, Tokyo
Day 5: Nikko, Tokyo
Day 7: Tokyo
- Itinerary for 7-Days Trip to Japan with Japan Rail Pass (May 2004) – Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Miyajima
- 7 Days Illuminations Travel with Japan Rail Pass (December 2007)
- Trip with Japan Rail Pass (Day 2): Kyoto (Kiyomizudera, Heian Shrine, Nishijin Textile Centre) – Osaka (Dotonburi)
- Japan Self-Drive Itinerary (December 2015 Pt 3) – Driving in Kyoto (Side trip to Osaka, Ine, Amanohashidate)
- Trip with Japan Rail Pass (Day 4): Yokohama, Tokyo (Shinjuku)
- Trip with Japan Rail Pass (Day 7): Tokyo (Imperial Palace)
- Japan Self-Drive Itinerary (December 2015 Pt 2) – Driving the Golden Route (Tokyo – Kyoto – Osaka)
- Trip with Japan Rail Pass (Day 5): Nikko, Tokyo (Asakusa Kannon Temple, Ueno, Ikebukuro)
- Short Tokyo Getaway (Day 1): Asakusa, Akasaka Mitsuke (Hie Shrine), Shibuya, Harajuku
- Japan Self-Drive Itinerary (December 2015 Pt 4) – Kyoto to Kanazawa to Nagano