Home >> Itineraries,Japan Travel >> Self-Drive Holiday to Hakone / Mount Fuji region (Kawaguchiko, Fuji Five Lakes) – Autumn Foliage season

We visited the Hakone and Mount Fuji region in end November 2008.  It was a beautiful time to visit the region because autumn colours were at its peak!

Day 1

We took the romance car from Shinjuku to Hakone-Yumoto station.  We dropped off our luggage at our accommodation, Kappa Tengoku, which was right next to Hakone-Yumoto station (but required a climb up a long flight of stairs with our luggage).

The first place we visited was Gora Park.  Check out the gorgeous autumn colours!

Next, we visited the Little Prince Museum. It was a place for die-hard Little Prince fans.  If you are not a fan, it would probably be a bit boring for you.

The sun set really early in Winter (4+pm), so by the time we were done visiting the Little Prince Museum, it was getting dark and we went back to our accommodation to rest.

Day 2

We drove to Togendai, which was the station that served both Lake Ashi cruise and Hakone ropeway.

We started with a round trip cruise on the pirate ship.  The weather was not good when we were there and we couldn’t see Mount Fuji at all, but the autumn colours along the way was breath-taking!

After we returned to Togendai, we went on the Hakone Ropeway.

We got off at Owakudani which was a sulphur mountain.

At Owakudani, we had to try their black eggs and black ramen.  Legend says that each black egg will lengthen your life by 7 years. But don’t eat more than 2, you will probably die of high cholesterol first

The black ramen was kind of a marketing gimmick, nothing special taste-wise.  But oh well, I am a sucker for marketing gimmicks, especially in Japan.

Black ramen.. Marketing gimmick, nothing special taste-wise.

After eating, we took the ropeway back to Togendai and went for a walk around the station to admire the beautiful autumn leaves.

From there, we drove to Lake Yamanaka, and hopped off the car when we came across a scenic viewpoint.

And we arrived at Lake Yamanaka!

The autumn foliage around Lake Yamanaka was amazing!

Next, we drove to Lake Kawaguchiko and visited UKAI Kawaguchiko Music Forest.

Don’t forget to catch the music fountain show at UKAI Kawaguchiko Music Forest.

And wait till dusk when the lights come on.

Day 3

The first place we drove to was the Otodome Waterfall.

Next, we drove to Narusawa Ice Cave and Fugaku Wind Cave which were.. boring.  But oh well, it was along the way to Shiraito Falls so no harm popping by if you have time.

And we finally reached the highlight of the drive: Shiraito Falls!

Look at all those amazing autumn colours!

From there, we drove to Fuji Safari Park for a Jurassic Park-style safari tour.

It was super cool driving through Fuji Safari Park where animals like giraffes and lions (yes, lions) could brush past our car.

After we were done touring the safari park, we drove to Oshino Hakkai – Home to one of Japan’s famous spring water.

While we were there, we spotted a VERY faint glimpse of Mount Fuji!

Day 4

Our last day here and the sky was finally clear and we caught our first clear view of Mount Fuji! Since the weather was good, we decided to go up the Mount Kachi Kachi Ropeway at Kawaguchiko.

After we descended, we drove to Oishi Park on the North shore of Kawaguchiko.  The view of Mount Fuji from the inconspicuous park was AMAZING!!

And after waiting around long enough, that annoying piece of cloud at the top of Mount Fuji finally cleared!

Next, we drove to Gotemba Premium Outlet for lunch and shopping.  Can’t say I’m big on shopping – I was there more for the view!

We dined at the food court with a view of Mount Fuji.

We drove back to Hakone and still had some time before we needed to return the rental car, so we visited the Hakone Venetian Glass Museum.

Visiting Hakone & Mount Fuji with Kids?

Read about our self-drive holiday to Hakone and Mount Fuji with kids in November 2013!

Visit our Japan Travel Blog!

Get more Japan travel guides & sample itineraries on our Japan travel blog!

1. Kas says:

Your trip reports are great! Thanks for sharing!:-)

2. yagizaneo says:

Hello there! I like your trip report. I wanna visit the Shiraito falls. I was wondering if there is a map code to key into the GPS for me to reach there? I will be driving from Kawaguchiko station. Appreciate your help if any as I don’t know if there is any phone number I can key into GPS when visiting these natural attractions. Thanks lots!

Hi,

I searched Mapion and this is the Map Code for Shiraito Falls:
      72 820 176

I have never tried it so I can’t guarantee it would work. When I did this trip (many years ago), map code technology was not around yet and I just followed road signs for natural attractions that do not have telephone numbers. For Mount Fuji region, from Kawaguchiko, there is only one road (route 139) circling Mount Fuji towards the attractions on the West. Natural attractions were clearly signed in English along the route so look out for the signs. You will pass by the Ice and Wind Caves and Asagiri Kogen before reaching Shiraito Falls.

For instructions on how to search for Map Codes on Mapion, you get refer to the post I wrote below:
      Japan Map Code Search – How to find Map Codes for your destinations

3. Anonymous says:

Hi, may I know which part of Japan is recommended for traveling in early Sept? Thanks.

4. Anonymous says:

I am not sure if my question got posted and so am resending and with more details-

I m planning to do a similar drive trip around hakone with my family of 5, hub and I and 3 kids ages 7, 5 and 15 months old. I would like to check with you if the winter at Tokyo and Hakone will be very harsh around 7-17dec?

Also I saw the notice of volcanic activity at hakone area around June this year. Is it still advisable to go this dec?

Thank you for taking time to reply!

Mandy Ong

Winter in Tokyo and Hakone is not very harsh. It will reach 0 degrees at night, but not sub-zero snowing kind of temperatures.

There is no danger in going Hakone, just that if the volcanic activity does not stop by December, the Hakone ropeway will remain closed. Which personally I felt was a highlight of our Hakone trip because my kids love take ropeways. So it seems a bit sad to go to Hakone and not be able to take the ropeway. I would recommend visiting the Fuji Five Lakes area instead, where you can visit Fuji Safari Park, Grinpa Amusement Park, Fuji Q Highland + Thomas Land and ride the Kachi Kachi Ropeway at Kawaguchiko.

• Mandy Ong says:

Thks for your reply! I would like to further check with you the following:

1) since the winter Is not harsh, I presume it should be safe to drive around hakone at that time?

2) we r thinking of doing a similar trip around Tokyo n drive trip at hakone like you did, is there a need / worth it to buy a JR. Pass

3) Is it advisable to bring all the luggage along to the drive trip or should we pack what we need for that few days and leave the rest at a Tokyo hotel? If to bring all the luggage, I m just thinking if that will be cumbersome to do so takin a train from Tokyo to odawara

4) we r thinking of letting the kids experience snow too. Since it’s quite unlikely it will snow at Tokyo, is the experience at snow town yeti good enough? I am hoping its natural snow n not man made snow there.

Thk u so much! Will at least give me some peace of mind to know

1) Yes, driving in Hakone is safe. You won’t encounter icy snow-covered roads and zero visibility due to snow like in the more snowy regions of Japan.

2) If you are just going Tokyo to Hakone, there is no need for the JR Pass.

3) I always leave my big luggage in Tokyo and bring a small bag for side trips. It is much easier to navigate the Japanese train system (and run after the super-punctual trains) with small bags. The shortest route may not always have escalators or elevators and you don’t want to be lugging your huge luggage cases up and downs staircases unnecessarily.

4) Neh, Snow Town Yeti is a waste of time. And it is man-made in December. Which means you are better off visiting Snow City in Singapore. If you want real snow, the nearest ski resort from Tokyo is Gala Yuzawa, but it only opens in late December. Your dates look too early. As reference, last year they opened from 21 Dec.

If you really really want to see real snow, you can always make your way up to the ski areas in Nagano. The ski resorts will not open until mid-late December. But if you just want to play with snow and not necessarily ski or snowboard, there will definitely be real snow in the region.

5. HIhi! We are going to Mt Fuji from Tokyo (Shinjuku) this November and I’m wondering if it is safe to drive there. Thanks for your blog – very informative! Great ideas for places to go too!

Apologies for the late reply! Somehow your comment ended up in my spam folder and I didn’t see it until I was clearing the folder. >_< Anyway yes, it is pretty safe to drive in the Mount Fuji region in November. The roads are well paved and you are unlikely to run into snow.

6. Rachael says:

I LOVED Hakone. I was lucky to visit for a few days about 9 years ago. I got great views and photos of mount Fuji. I really should try and find those photos again…

7. Cat says:

Bumblebeemum

Help!!!! My initial plan was on 5 Dec to pick up car from Gotemba to go to Fuji Safari Park then drive up to Fuji Premium resort. 6 Dec to Fujiten Skiing Resort. 7 Dec (yet to plan anything) but to drive back to Gotemba.

Now, though Fujiten Skiing Resort tentatively will open on 5 Dec, they responded to me by stating that “if it is a warm winter, opening may be later”. So, besides going to Fuji Q Highland which we are not very keen. Would appreciate if you could advise some itineraries for us to cover on 6 Dec and also anywhere we could stop by when travelling back to Gotemba on 7 Dec.

Thanks in advance!!!!

8. Jenny says:

Hi Bumble Bee Mum

I am grateful for the wealth of information you have blogged on these areas in 2008 and 2013, but perhaps I have drowned myself in so much information and lost the thinking power to plan.

Alternative 1: My original intent was just to get the Hakone 2 day pass and do Day 1: Hakone, rest over in Hakone for the night. Day 2: Hop over to Gotemba outlet in the morning, shop the day and return to Tokyo in the evening. I am having troubles grasping the logistics details to understand if this 2 day plan would be feasible. Whether the train or bus schedules can accommodate this itinerary.

Alternative 2: Then I got greedy and wanted to include Kawaguchiko. Would it be possible to do Day 1: Gotemba, rest the night at Kawaguchiko. And enjoy, if I am lucky, Fuji’s scenery from the room. And on Day 2 head to Hakone and return to Tokyo. Yet to work out the logistics and feasibility on this. Would you be able to advice?

I was trying to model your itinerary for Hakone and the vicinity, but we are not driving so I came down with the 2 options.The 2 day plans are intended on Dec 7 – 8. I will be arriving into Tokyo with my gal friend on Dec 5, and planning to get the tickets or passes whichever needed on Dec 6. After which, we would head for the Gingkos (wrt your later post) and hopefully autumn foliage at Rikugien Garden or Koishikawa Korakuen.

With much appreciation on your feedback and looking forward to your enlightenment wand.

Personally, I feel the Hakone Freepass is best value when you use it for the Hakone Round Course (with the ropeway and Lake Ashi cruise). It is possible to complete the round-course on Day 1 if you set off early. In winter, due to shorter daylight hours, I suggest you leave Shinjuku by 7am and arrive in Odawara by 8.30am. Then on Day 2, you can visit Gotemba and return to Shinjuku from Gotemba via the Odakyu Highway Bus. So your first plan is actually feasible.

If you want to visit Kawaguchiko, I suggest you stretch it to 3 days and get the Fuji Hakone Pass instead:

So what you do is:
      Day 1 – Shinjuku – Hakone (Hakone round course)
      Day 2 – Hakone – Gotemba (shopping) – Kawaguchiko
      Day 3 – Kawaguchiko – Shinjuku

• Jenny says:

Hi Bumble Bee Mum

Thanks much! That’s crystal clear and removes much clouds from the mind.

Will drop Kawaguchiko as you suggest and just focus on Hakone this trip. Will it be too late to get the tickets at Shinjuku’s Okakyu Sightseeing Service Center on Dec 6, a day prior to our excursion to Hakone? At the same time, would I be possible to have them help me put through a special request for the Kaiseiki dinner (as I don’t take raw) + booking for private onsen at our lodging? Because I have yet to find the number/email for our lodging which I have booked through Agoda.

Neh, it’s not too late. I remembered I bought my tickets at the station just before I hopped onto the train. Because I didn’t want to be restricted by the timing of tickets that I pre-bought.

Hmm? I don’t understand your second question. Do you mean that you already booked your lodging through Agoda and would like to put in special request now? If that’s the case, go to Agoda, under ‘My Booking’, and click on ‘Manage Booking’ and see if there’s a section for you to fill in special request and modify your booking? I don’t have any upcoming bookings on my account now so I can’t check where exactly the special request is, but I kind of remember submitting a special request before.

Alternatively, what is the name of your lodging? I can try to google in Japanese to see if I can find their number, but most of the time hotels in Japan don’t have an email address. They use the phone more than email.

• Jenny says:

Oh I see re the Hakone tix and timing. And re lodging at Hakone, yes, I have already booked to stay a night with half board options (breakfast and dinner) in Hakone via Agoda. I went ahead to reserve one without reading much because time was getting too near to our travel dates. After placing the booking and as I read on, I realized I am not entirely suited for kaiseiki dinner as it has raw stuff. As you suggest, I just made the special request through Agoda’s manage booking section. I also found from a Taiwanese website this would be the number and email for the lodging: +81-460-86-1333 | hakone-rc@dormy-hotels.com but number appears to be invalid when I called and no one has replied to my email yet. Oh, the lodging is Tokinoyu Setsugetsuka, Gora (箱根強羅温泉 季の湯 雪月花). I think the website might be http://www.hotespa.net/hotels/setsugetsuka/room/ and through the translation at FAQ page, I gathered if I read right, I can do the meal request on the same day before 2 p.m.? And there is no private reservation on the onsen? Thanks again for your invaluable input and time.

Based on the reviews I read on Agoda, it seems that you get to choose your meal when you’re there. One of the reviews said they could choose between seafood, beef or sushi set.

For the onsen, they do have private onsen but they don’t take prior reservation for them. It says on the website that you can use them when they are empty. So I guess you just need to wait until they are available to use them.

• Jenny says:

Ohhh you got that from Agoda’s review? How did I miss it! Thanks again!! That’s great help and I can wrap up my homework on Tokyo. Wishing you all the best this holiday season wherever you are!