Home >> Other Travels,Travel Tips >> Flying with Baby using KrisFlyer redemption

Recently I finally accumulated enough KrisFlyer miles to redeem two air tickets to Seoul! Hubby and I decided to go on a family trip in December.. Our first trip since MF was born! Filled with excitement, I logged in to Singapore Airline’s website to redeem tickets for 2 adults and an infant.. But to my dismay, I found that if I chose ‘redemption’, I was not allowed to include an infant in my trip!

I tried to google some information about how to fly with an infant while redeeming my miles, but could not find much information.. So I paid a visit to Singapore Airlines Service Centre at ION Orchard to find out how it can be done and decided to blog about the process to share with anyone else who may be interested.

Okay.. Firstly, you need to go to Singapore Airline’s website to book the air tickets for the adults / kids above 2 years old.. Select ‘redemption’ to use your miles.

AFTER you have booked, bring your receipt and booking down to Singapore Airlines Service Centre at ION Orchard, to purchase a separate ticket for the infant and ask them to link the infant’s booking to your original booking.  If the flight you made has no more bassinet seat, you will have to choose to carry the infant with you the whole flight, or change another flight. (Thankfully the flights I booked were still available).  When you are booking, they will only tell you whether or not bassinet seat is still available, but you don’t get to see which seats are still available nor choose your seats there.

Once your infant’s booking is settled and linked to your booking, you can go back to Singapore Airline’s website to choose your seat.  You will find that you are now able to choose the bassinet seats.

For me, although there are still bassinet seats available, by the time I went back online to choose my seat, there is only a single seat available with the bassinet, which means my hubby will have to sit elsewhere.. So that is a downside to the system.

As for the cost, MF’s ticket to Seoul cost $200+ (Economy class).  I think it is a percentage of the full fare (from what I read in google, I think it’s 10%), so if you are redeeming for Business / First class, your infant’s ticket will cost more.

1. Aziz says:

Thank you for the information. After being put on hold for 20 mins each time, I decided to google it. Your info has helped.

2. Aziz says:

20 mins each time on Singapore Airlines customer service 🙂

3. Lee Sabelle says:

Hi,

May I check with you how much you pay for 2 adults and baby after redeem with your points?

Regards
    Sabelle

Hi, I can’t remember the exact amount.. But for adults, you need to pay for taxes, so it depends on how much is fuel surcharge and airport taxes for the place you are going. For baby, I think his round-trip ticket to Korea was $300+.

4. Anonymous says:

Thank you for the information. This was very useful!!

5. gloria says:

I really need the info. could not get through their customer service line the whole day yesterday and decided to google it. your posting really helps me. thank you.

6. Anonymous says:

Hi Bumblebeemum,

Nice blog! I was looking for this information for the past few days. Btw, Do I need to provide the passport details of my baby during the infant’s booking?

7. Utsav says:

thanks a lot for sharing – really helpful

8. Sasandy says:

This is so helpful!

9. mc says:

Thanks for the blog, this was helpful. But I have a question. You redeemed a kids above 2 years ticket and then went to the Singapore Airlines Service Centre to purchase an infant ticket? Did I get it wrong? Sounds like you redeemed a ticket and still have to buy an infant ticket??

At that time it was just me, my husband and an infant. We used our points to redeem tickets for the 2 adults online. After that, we went to Singapore Airlines Centre to purchase the infant ticket and the staff linked the infant ticket to our booking.

10. spk307 says:

Quite expensive! Example, if i book a redemption suites ticket one way to LHR for the adult, i have to pay $900 for the infant! Thats $900 for absolutely no extra service from the airline!

11. Terence says:

Can you do the infant part when your own redemption flights are waitlisted, or do you have to wait till they are confirmed? Thanks.

I’m guessing you need to wait for your flight to be confirmed. I don’t think they would sell infant ticket if no parent / guardian is confirmed on the flight.. know what I mean?

12. Jolean says: