Home >> Itineraries,Japan Travel >> Hokkaido Self-drive with kids (June 2014) Part 2: Lake Toya -> Yakumo Funkawan Panorama Park ->Hakodate (Lucky Pierrot, Goryokaku Tower, Kanemori red brick warehouse, Uni Murakami, Morning market)

Update (April 2017):

We are in the process of refreshing and reorganising our older travel posts.  The contents on this post have been moved to the following post:

Hokkaido Self-drive with kids (June 2014) Part 1: New Chitose Airport – Lake Shikotsu – Lake Toya – Hakodate

Posts from our June 2014 Hokkaido trip:

Click Here for Itinerary Outline

Detailed Posts:

Part 1: New Chitose Airport, Lake Shikotsu, Lake Toya, Hakodate
Part 2: Onuma Koen, Niseko, Shakotan
Part 3: Otaru
Part 4: Sapporo

Looking for more posts on Japan Travel?

Visit our Japan Travel Page for more itineraries and travel tips!

1. jeannie says:

Hi, do you know if there is any car rental in Lake Toya, near its JR station? Thank you.

2. dex says:

Hi Bumblebeemum,

Have you travelled to Asahikawa before?
    I am planning a self-drive to that area prior hitting back to Lake Toya.
    Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi,

Yes I have been to Asahikawa. When would you be travelling and what is your purpose of visiting the area? Asahikawa itself has nothing much beside the zoo and ramen village. But it is a good base for exploring nearby regions. It really depends on the season you are travelling. In Summer, you can use it as a base to explore Biei and Furano. In Autumn, to visit Daisetsuzan National Park. In Winter, Asahiyama Zoo is worth a visit. In late spring, people do a day trip to Takinoue for shibazakura and Kamiyubetsu Tulip Park from there.

3. Jane says:

Hi Bumblebeemum,

Thanks for your insightful blog on Hokkaido, your entries have really helped me in planning my upcoming trip to Hokkaido in the summer.

I need your advice on Hakodate – do you think the city is worth visiting, given that it is a bit of a drive from most places? I will also be travelling with my grandmother who is in her 80’s, so am trying to reduce long commute whenever possible.

Thanks in advance!

Hakodate is indeed a very long drive. Whether or not you should visit depends on how much time you have. If you want to visit Hakodate but want to cut short the driving times, I usually recommend spending 1 night a Noboribetsu on the way there and 1 night at Lake Toya on the way back or vice versa to break up the drive.

4. Gary says:

About Uni Murakami – I supposed the other seafood weren’t that good? I thought the uni was excellent though my friend didn’t like it either (no fishy taste he said….) We wrote our own review and pictures as well so do check it out in your free time. Thanks for your recommendations!!

You’re clever to make reservation!! We waited so long for a table… Maybe with longer wait came higher expectations and hence disappointment for us. Your uni looks lovely!

5. Anonymous says:

Hi there! We are planning to visit Lake Toya from Hakodate and it’s gonna be a long drive. My kids and grandparents will be coming along. So are there any shops or eateries we can stop by for toilet breaks? Thank you for your informative website! 🙂