Home >> Itineraries,Japan Travel >> Hokkaido Self-drive with kids (June 2014) Part 8: Furano -> Biei (Flower Land Kamifurano, Panorama Road: Shikisai No Oka, Shinnei No Oka, Sanai No Oka, Chiyoda Farm, Patchwork Road: Hokusei No Oka, Hill of Zerebu) -> Furano (Ningle Terrace, Kumagera)

Update (April 2017):

We have reorganised our old travel posts and the contents originally on this post have been post to:

Posts from our June 2014 Hokkaido trip:

Click Here for Itinerary Outline

Detailed Posts:

Part 1: New Chitose Airport, Lake Shikotsu, Lake Toya, Hakodate
Part 2: Onuma Koen, Niseko, Shakotan
Part 3: Otaru
Part 4: Sapporo

Looking for more posts on Japan Travel?

Visit our Japan Travel Page for more itineraries and travel tips!

1. Jovin says:

Hi mummy, I am going to Hokkaido this end Apr/early May. Because it is not blooming season, where do u advise us to visit in Furano, Biei and Asahikawa?

Don’t wish to burst your bubbles but you are going at a very bad time. Firstly, I think you are going to run in Golden Week. Is there any way you can change your travel dates? Golden Week is a really bad time to go Japan. Prices of all travel-related stuff (accommodations, car rental) will go up, trains will be extremely crowded and you may not be able to get reserved seats even if you have a rail pass.

On the bright side, you have a pretty good chance of running in sakura season! (Check sakura forecast) If i were you, I would focus my travel on sakura spots in Sapporo, Hakodate and Matsumae.

I would not recommend going to Furano / Biei / Asahikawa at that time, you will just see a lot of melting snow. Asahiyama Zoo (at Asahikawa) will be closing their winter season after 7 April 2015 and they have not announced when they will reopen for their summer season, so it may not be open when you are there. But if you have already made plans to go to the region, I guess you could visit the food places.

Asahikawa: Asahikawa Ramen Village

Furano: Furano Wine House and Wine Factory, Furano Cheese Factory, Furano Marche. Tomita Farm has a greenhouse which is open all year round, but it’s really nothing much.

Biei: Shirogane onsen (there are two waterfalls and a blue lake ‘aoiike’ there)

If you have not planned your itinerary, I suggest you skip the Asahikawa / Furano / Biei region totally and spend more time exploring Sapporo, Otaru, Hakodate and onsen towns such as Lake Toya and Noboribetsu. These places are great in all seasons. If sakura season has started, you may even want to go further south to Matsumae from Hakodate for sakura viewing. Also, Niseko’s Grand Hirafu ski season should still running (they usually run until end of Golden Week). Don’t waste your time at Asahikawa / Furano / Biei.

2. Jason says:

Hi there,

I am making a trip with my family to Hokkaido in end June with my wife and baby boy. Will be spending 3 days 2 nights in the Furano, Biei area. Do you have any hotels to recommend?

Thanks in advanced.

Jason

• Our family stayed at Hotel Edel Warme. It was pretty dated and there was nothing interesting around the hotel. You would have to drive out for ddinner. We chose it because it had quad rooms (with 4 beds) so that all our whole family could sleep comfortably and it was pretty cheap.

The more popular hotel is New Furano Prince Hotel. The rooms were smaller and more expensive, but the hotel has better facilities. (Ningle Terrace is there.)

3. Michelle says:

Hi! I’m planning to drive from Otaru to Furano for a day trip on 13 June. Is that a good time to visit Furano, or should I skip Furano and head to Noboribetsu straight? Thanks!

4. Joanne says:

Hi Bumblebee mum, We are having our Hokkaido self-drive trip on 29 Jun ~ 6 Jul with our 4 yr old kid. Below is our itinerary:
    Day 1: Hakodate – mount Hakodate , Overnight at hakodate kokusai hotel
    Day 2: Hakodate / lake Toya – morning market (Hakodate Asaichi)
    – Kanemori red Brick warehouse
    – Overnight at jozankei hotel
    Day 6 : Jozankei /Otaru /Sapporo – Ishiya chocolate factory
    – Otaru canal
    – Sakaimachi street
    – Otaru music box museum
    – Overnight at Sapporo
    Can you advise me which of the place above are recommend to go and which is not?
    Where you will recommend us to have our lunch and dinner?
    Do you have any other place that is recommend visiting but it’s not in the list above?

5. nazlin says:

hi,
    I plan to bring my 68 yr old mum to hokaido from 29/7 to 3/8. Furano-Biei is high on my list. I wonder which day will not be super busy to visit the flower farm, should I start saturday/sunday by spending time exploring Sapporo and Otaru first. And on monday and tuesday to Furano and Biei. I would like to avoid a big crowd actually.

Unfortunately the flower fields will be super busy any time during the period you’re there. It’s near impossible to avoid crowds at Furano / Biei during flowering season. Have you booked your accommodation? Maybe you can decide which day to go where based on the availability of accommodation.

• nazlin says:

tq for your advise. I found that it is almost impossible to get a decent accomodation on weekends. So I decided to move my trip to weekdays.

Even weekdays can be problematic during peak season. Most people book at least half a year in advance. Hope you manage to find secure a decent accommodation!

• nazlin says:

hi, i hv another query on car rental. is it difficult to park in sapporo. what about directions, can i use waze to go around. is the phone system similar to our phone in msia/spore?

There are plenty of coin parking in Sapporo, it is not difficult to find parking at all.

I have never tried using waze in Japan. Their rental cars come with pretty good built-in GPS which I rely on fully when I’m driving in Japan. When I had a pocket WIFI, I tried google maps when I had to make last minute changes to my itinerary (and hence did not have telephone numbers / map codes of my destination on hand) and it worked fine.

6. QQ says:

Hi Bumblebee mum, we are having our Hokkaido self-drive trip on 22 Aug ~ 28 Aug 2017 (7D5N only) with our 3 yrs old kid. Is late Aug still a great a time to Furano for Lavender?

7. Jolene says:

Hi Bumblebee mum,

I will be going to Hokkaido during mid Apr doing self drive.

If it is not too troublesome, will you able to advise if the following itinerary is workable… Niseko mainly to see snow not into skiing though.. Sapporo for Shiroi Koibito factory, Sapporo beer factory..Furano mainly for cheese factory, these are the key places that the hub is keen to visit, any other recommendations during Apr that we can visit, thanks in advance…

1. 13-Apr,Thur (Overnight flight to Haneda)
    a. Singapore to Haneda via red eye flight
    2. 14-Apr, Fri (Hakodate, stay Hakodate)
    a. Domestic Flight Haneda to Hakodate
    3. 15-Apr, Sat (Hakodate, stay Hakodate)
    4. 16-Apr, Sun (Hakodate to Noboribetsu, stay Noboribetsu)
    5. 17-Apr, Mon (Noboribetsu, stay Noboribetsu)
    6. 18-Apr, Tue (Noboribetsu to Niseko, stay Niseko)
    a. Enroute Lake Toya to Niseko
    7. 19-Apr, Wed (Niseko, stay Niseko)
    8. 20-Apr, Thur (Niseko to Otaru, stay Sapporo)
    9. 21-Apr, Fri (Stay Sapporo)
    a. Shiroi Koibito Fty Visit
    10. 22-Apr, Sat (Sapporo to Furano, Stay Furano)
    a. Cheese Factory
    b. Ice Cream making
    11. 23-Apr, Sun (Furano to Biei, stay Furano)
    a. Blue Pond
    12. 24-Apr, Mon (Furano to Sapporo, stay Sapporo)
    a. TV Tower
    b. Nakajima Park/ Odori Park
    c. Sukino Shopping
    13. 25-Apr, Tue (Sapporo, Stay Sapporo)
    a. Sapporo Beer Factory
    14. 26-Apr, Wed (Sapporo to Haneda, stay Tokyo)
    15. 27-Apr, Thur (Disney, Stay Tokyo)
    16. 28-Apr, Fri (Shibazakura day tour, stay Tokyo)
    17. 29-Apr, Sat (F&E, stay Tokyo)
    18. 30-Apr, Sun (F&E, overnight flight to Singapore)
    a. Haneda to Singapore
    19. 01-May, Mon (Singapore)

Your itinerary looks good. 🙂

• Jolene says:

Dear Bumbblebeemum

Thanks..

However would still like to check if areas like Niseko, Furano and Biei will have things to view during the period in Aor that I’ll be visiting? Also, there is only 2 full days in Sapporo, will it be sufficient?

Thanks

In Niseko, you can visit Milk Kobo and Fukidashi Park. And just play with the snow or check out other snow activities available besides skiing.

In Furano, you can try visiting wine factory, jam factory, glass forest etc. And in Biei, it’s really just driving around the enjoy the countryside scenery – hopefully weather is good!

I’m not a big fan of shopping so I do think 2 days in Sapporo is sufficient if your main purpose is to visit Shiroi Koibito Park and Sapporo Beer Factory.