Home >> Itineraries,Japan Travel >> Hokkaido Self-drive with Kids (June 2014) Part 2 – Sapporo

Update (April 2017):

We have reorganised our old travel posts.  The contents originally in this post have been moved to the following post:

Hokkaido Self-drive with kids (June 2014) Part 4: Sapporo

Posts from our June 2014 Hokkaido trip:

Click Here for Itinerary Outline

Detailed Posts:

Part 1: New Chitose Airport, Lake Shikotsu, Lake Toya, Hakodate
Part 2: Onuma Koen, Niseko, Shakotan
Part 3: Otaru
Part 4: Sapporo

Looking for more posts on Japan Travel?

Visit our Japan Travel Page for more itineraries and travel tips!

1. […] ← Hokkaido Self-drive with Kids (June 2014) Part 2 – Sapporo Transformers 30th Anniversary Exhibition @ Singapore Science Centre → […]

2. […] Takino Suzuran Hillside Park When the weather is good, you can probably spend a whole day here with your kids, letting them play at the various play areas and exploring the nature as well. Click here to read about my visit to Takino Suzuran Hillside Park in June 2014! […]

3. Esther er says:

Hi

I’d like to thank you for blogging so much information about Hokkaido which makes it easier when I am currently planning for my Hokkaido trip.

I do have some questions and would like to ask you. Hope you don’t mind. Firstly, do you rent the pocket wifi router from tocoo? And may I know how can I purchase wifi SIM card or router cheaply in Hokkaido? I’ll be traveling to Hokkaido in June 2016 and your blog contain so much information about self drive and places of attraction which I’ll definitely be going!

I don’t rent from Tocoo. Most Singaporeans find it most convenient to get the pocket WIFI from Changi Recommends because they can pick up and drop off at Changi Airport.

Alternatively, you can just google ‘Japan WIFI router rental’. There are many Japanese-based companies offering WIFI rental where they can deliver to your hotel or you can pick up from the post office etc. It is quite competitive so the rates are pretty reasonable across the board.

• Cindy says:

Hi, did u rent ur wifi router from changi? How’s the coverage in Hokkaido? Thanks alot

I haven’t rented their router before but will probably be trying it out when I’m in Hokkaido in June. When is your trip? If it’s after June, check with me again after June and I should be able to tell you then.

• Junel says:

Hi there! so was the egg wifi good in hokkaido?:) Would you recommend it?

It works well in the cities. But at rural areas, sometimes there is no reception. Having a pocket WIFI is always a good back-up especially if you do not know Japanese or you like to find places to visit or eat along the way. We did use it quite a bit to search for cafes whenever the weather was bad. :p

4. Mel says:

Hello Bumblebeemum!

First of all, thank you for writing up such a detailed guide on your travel to Japan. I enjoyed reading every of your posts. It really helps me in preparing my ‘last minute’ trip to Hokkaido next week. My husband and I will be travelling with out 18months old active boy.

Can you give me advise if my itinerary looks alright? And if there is any suggestions to add on? This trip was booked very last minute and we had a hard time securing hotels.
    4/7 night – Fly from Singapore to Haneda

5/7 morning reached Haneda and transit for 3 hours before fly out to New Chitose (ETA around 11am). Take the JR rapid train service to Sapporo Station. Walk to our hotel for the night, Mitsui Garden Hotel nearby Sapporo Station. Afternoon plan to do some sightseeing around the touristy spots Sapporo Clock Tower,Hokkaido Government Building, TV tower. Walk and shop around the underground shoopping arcade. Dinner.

6/7 – Collect our car rental from Sapporo Station. Drive to Furano. Our hotel for the night at Natulux Furano Hotel (only managed to book 1 night) Upon reaching, head for lunch. Plan to visit Furano cheese factory, Furano Delice. shop at Furano Marche. Dinner at Kumagera.

7/7 – Breakfast at hotel. Check out. Visit Tomita Farm. Tomita Melon House. Lunch. Before our drive to Asahikawa (where our hotels are booked for the next 2 nights) any suggestions on where to visit? Our hotel for the night is at Dormy Inn Asahikawa

8/7/ – Plan to visit Asahiyama Zoo. Are there any recommendations on where can we pick fruits or visit farm animals?

9/7/ – Check out. Drive back from Asahikawa to Sapporo. Visit Shiroi Koibito Park. Check in to Mitsui Garden Hotel for 1 night. Return the car. Dinner.

10/7 – Shopping/eating day around Sapporo. Which market is it more worthwhile to visit? Today we will change hotel to Hotel Mecure Sapporo.

11/7 – Another day of shopping/eating

12/7 – Is taking the bus more convenient for us to head to the airport since we are staying at Hotel Mecure Sapporo? Our flight is around 7pm.

As we are travelling with a toddler, we would like to take this trip easy and relax. I also noticed the weather is cooling now although it is supposed to be summer? Hope you can give me some suggestions on my itinerary.

Thank you very much!

7/7: Asahikawa is not very exciting. I suggest you do sightseeing at Biei during the day and just go to Asahikawa for dinner and to sleep for the night.

8/7: I don’t know of any fruit farms near Asahikawa. There is a cherry farm but it is near Furano:
      Actually I think Asahiyama Zoo is good for a whole day, especially with a toddler. I wouldn’t plan anything else for the day.

If you want to visit Ohashi cherry farm, I suggest you go there on the 9th on the way back from Asahikawa to Sapporo. Ohashi cherry farm is kind of in between Asahikawa and Sapporo.

10/7: If you are staying at Mercure, I suggest visiting Nijo Market. It is walking distance from Mercure.

12/7: Yes, taking the bus to the airport is more convenient for Mercure.

Hokkaido weather is crazy erratic. It can be cold one day and hot like Singapore the next day. Just prepare layers of clothing, ranging from t-shirts to jackets, and dress according to the weather for the day when you are there.

5. James says:

Hi Ms MM Mum

Appreciate your suggestions on my itinerary below.
    I will be arriving in Sapporo next Sunday, 11 Sep for 2 nights.
    Thereafter will be spending 2 nights and 3 days at Asahikawa.
    The purpose of going to Asahikawa is to use it as a stop for visiting the Ropeways at Sounkyo and Asahidake as well as Furano/ Biei.

Do u think I should be staying both nights at Asahikawa ?
    Is it possible to travel by bus to the above scenic areas or is a rental car necessary ?

Thanks n best, James

Sorry for the late reply as I was overseas the whole of last week. I would recommend you rent a car for the scenic areas. It is possible to stay at Asahikawa and do the ropeways as day trip from Asahikawa with a rental car.