Home >> Japan Accommodation,Japan Travel >> Tokyo with Kids Accommodation – 10 SUGOI Themed Hotels with Character Rooms!

Japan is my favourite country on earth to visit. But the truth is, I am a super budget traveller.  Our Japan trips usually revolve around crashing teeny weeny rooms in chain hotels like Toyoko Inn, Super Hotel, Dormy Inn, Route Inn, Smile Hotel etc. But once in my lifetime, I would love to splurge on a beautiful themed hotel room, because imo, nobody does themed hotels as well as the Japanese.

Previously, I shared about the Thomas-themed hotel near Mount Fuji.

In this post, I am going to share some themed hotels you can find in Tokyo.  Ikuzo!

#1 Tokyo Disneyland Hotel

tokyo disneyland hotel

Tokyo Disneyland Hotel (Image Source: Tokyo Disneyland Hotel)

Starting with the obvious, Tokyo Disneyland Hotel has 4 character rooms:

tokyo disneyland hotel tinkle bell room

Tinkle Bell Room (Image Source: Tokyo Disneyland Hotel)

tokyo disneyland hotel alice in wonderland room

Alice in Wonderland Room (Image Source: Tokyo Disneyland Hotel)

tokyo disneyland hotel beauty and the beast room

Beauty and the Beast Room (Image Source: Tokyo Disneyland Hotel)

tokyo disneyland hotel cinderella room

Cinderella Room (Image Source: Tokyo Disneyland Hotel)

Even their normal guest room has Mickey Mouse decorations!

tokyo disneyland hotel typical guest room

Standard Room (Image Source: Tokyo Disneyland Hotel)

For booking, visit Tokyo Disney Resort Official Website.

#2 Disney Ambassador Hotel

Disney Ambassador Hotel

Disney Ambassador Hotel (Image Source: Disney Ambassador Hotel)

Also part of Tokyo Disney Resort, Disney Ambassador Hotel houses the extremely popular Mickey, Minnie and Donald Duck rooms!

Disney Ambassador Hotel Donald Duck Standard Room

Donald Duck Room (Image Source: Disney Ambassador Hotel)

Disney Ambassador Hotel Mickey Mouse Room

Mickey Mouse Room (Image Source: Disney Ambassador Hotel)

Disney Ambassador Hotel Minnie Mouse Room

Minnie Mouse Room (Image Source: Disney Ambassador Hotel)

And if you’re feeling rich, how does a night at the Mickey Penthouse Suite sound?

Disney Ambassador Hotel Mickey Penthouse Suite

Mickey Penthouse Suite (Image Source: Disney Ambassador Hotel)

For booking, visit Tokyo Disney Resort Official Website.

#3 Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel

Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel has penguins themed rooms called Treasures Room.

sheraton grande tokyo bay hotel treasures room

Treasures Room at Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel. (Image Source: Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel)

If the themed room did not impress you, maybe this will: Their Kids Land.  I’ve got indoor playground junkie blood in me, so I jumped when I saw the photos to their Kids Land!

sheraton grande tokyo bay hotel Kids Land

Kids Land at Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel (Image Source: Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel)

Tempted now? Sheranton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel is a Tokyo Disney Resort Official Hotel. It is located within Tokyo Disney Resort.For booking, visit Sheranton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel Official Website.

#4 Hilton Tokyo Bay Hotel

hilton tokyo bay hotel

(Image Source: Hilton Tokyo Bay Hotel)

Hilton Tokyo Bay Hotel welcomes children with their kawaii Happy Magic Room.

hilto tokyo bay hotel happy magic room 1

Happy Magic Room at Hilton Tokyo Bay Hotel (Image Source: Hilton Tokyo Bay Hotel)

Read more about the Magic Room at Hilton Tokyo Bay Hotel on Dominiquegoh.com!

Hilton Tokyo Bay Hotel is a Tokyo Disney Resort Official Hotel. It is located within Tokyo Disney Resort. For booking, visit Hilton Tokyo Bay Hotel Official Website.

#5 Palm & Fountain Terrace Hotel

[warning]Update (June 2016):  Palm & Fountain Terrace Hotel is no longer in operation and has been replaced by Tokyo Disney Celebration Hotel.[/warning]

#6 Grand Pacific Le Daiba

grand pacific le daiba

Grand Pacific Le Daiba Hotel (Image Source: Grand Pacific Le Daiba)

Anime fan ALERT! Grand Pacific Le Daiba has insanely COOL character rooms featuring Gundam, Space Pirate Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999!

Grand Pacific Le Daiba Gundam 1

Gundam Room (Image Source: Grand Pacific Le Daiba)

Grand Pacific Le Daiba Gundam 2

Gundam Room (Image Source: Grand Pacific Le Daiba)

Grand Pacific Le Daiba Space Pirate Captain Harlock Room (2)

Space Pirate Captain Harlock Room (Image Source: Grand Pacific Le Daiba)

Grand Pacific Le Daiba Galaxy Express 999 Room

Galaxy Express 999 Room (Image Source: Grand Pacific Le Daiba)

Grand Pacific Le Daiba Hotel is located at Odaiba, right next to Daiba station.  It is an excellent base for exploring the Odaiba district. For booking, visit Grand Pacific Le Daiba Official Homepage

#7 Imperial Hotel Tokyo

imperial hotel tokyo

Imperial Hotel Tokyo Entrance (Image Source: Imperial Hotel Tokyo)

Snoopy fan, anyone? If you are one, check out the Snoopy Themed character room at Imperial Hotel Tokyo!

Imperial Hotel Tokyo Snoopy Room

Snoopy Character Room at Imperial Hotel Tokyo (Image Source: Imperial Hotel Tokyo)

Book their Grand Chef Snoopy Stay Plan and your stay will be complete with a Snoopy-themed bento for breakfast!

Imperial Hotel Tokyo Snoopy Room Meal Plan

Snoopy bento breakfast at Imperial Hotel Tokyo (Image Source: Imperial Hotel Tokyo)

And just to add icing on the cake, each guest gets to go home with an Imperial Hotel Tokyo Bento bag!

Imperial Hotel Tokyo Snoopy Room Free Gift

Snoopy Bento Bag for guests (Image Source: Imperial Hotel Tokyo)

Imperial Hotel Tokyo is conveniently located in the Ginza district. Its location is excellent for exploring central Tokyo.  For booking, visit Imperial Hotel Tokyo Official Website.

#8 Mitsui Garden Hotel Ueno

Mitsui Garden Hotel Ueno

Mitsui Garden Hotel Ueno (Image Source: Mitsui Garden Hotel Ueno)

Not sure about you, but I LOVED pandas when I was a kid.  And my kids also love pandas, judging from our visits to Singapore River Safari.   If you (or your kids) are panda fans, check out the panda-themed rooms at Mitsui Garden Hotel Ueno.

Mitsui Garden Hotel Ueno Panda Room

Panda themed room at Mitsui Garden Hotel Ueno (Image Source: Mitsui Garden Hotel Ueno)

I am super tickled by that panda toilet paper! Can I bring the unused rolls home??

If you are wondering what’s up with the panda theme, Ueno is home to Tokyo’s most popular zoo, Ueno Zoo.  And the highlight of Ueno Zoo is, you guessed it, pandas.  And the people around Ueno are really crazy about all things pandas.  Like how the bakery at Ueno station sold panda buns.

Ueno Station Panda Buns

Panda buns we spotted at Ueno Station during our Tokyo trip.

Mitsui Garden Hotel Ueno is located right smack next to Ueno station.  Ueno station is where I recommend staying if you are arriving / departing via Narita Airport.  The Keisei Line connects Narita Airport and Ueno station directly for a very cheap fare of approximately 1000 yen per adult (normal train).  For booking, visit Mitsui Garden Hotel Ueno Official Website.

#9 Lotte City Hotel Kinshicho

Kimchi fans would not be unfamiliar with the Lotte brand.  The name ‘Lotte’ makes me sit up and pay extra attention because I once had a very memorable stay at Lotte Hotel in Jeju (Korea).

Now, hands up if you love Lotte’s Koala March Snack! Don’t know what I’m talking about? THIS ONE:

Lotte Koala Snack

Lotte Koala March Snack (Image Source: Amazon)

Ate before right?? Lotte City Hotel Kinshicho actually has a room dedicated to their Koala March snack!

Lotte City Hotel Kinshicho Koala March Room

Koala March themed room at Lotte City Hotel Kinshicho (Image Source: Lotte City Hotel Kinshicho)

I feel like buying a box of Koala March snack right now, just looking at that room. Think I’ll end up munching on that pillow.  For booking, visit Lotte City Hotel Kinshicho Official Website.

#10 Keio Plaza Hotel

keio plaza hotel

Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo Exterior (Image Source: Keio Plaza Hotel)

Keio Plaza Hotel runs a chain of 4 hotels around Japan.  They have Hello Kitty character rooms in two of their hotels.

Keio Plaza Hotel (Tokyo)

Japan Vacation Ideas for Hello Kitty Fans - Hello Kitty Rooms at Keio Plaza Tokyo Shinjuku. (Image Source)

Hello Kitty character rooms at Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo. (Image Source: Keio Plaza Hotel)

Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo is one of the “Tokyo Disney Resort Good Neighbor Hotels” and offers complimentary shuttle bus service directly from the hotel to Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea Park.  It is a 5 minute’s walk from Shinjuku station’s West exit.  Shinjuku station is a major transport hub in Tokyo.  For booking, visit Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo Official Website.

Keio Plaza Hotel Tama

Japan Vacation Ideas for Hello Kitty Fans - Hello Kitty room at Keio Plaza Hotel Tama (Image source)

Hello Kitty Character Room at Keio Plaza Hotel Tama (Image Source: Keio Plaza Hotel)

Located near Sanrio Puroland, a stay at the Hello Kitty room at Keio Plaza Hotel Tama coupled with a visit to Sanrio Puroland makes the ultimate vacation for Hello Kitty fans!  For booking, visit Keio Plaza Hotel Tama Official Homepage

[warning]I have never stayed in any of the above hotels.  These are what I came across on the internet while doing research for my multiple Japan trips. I am not sure if the hotels will match what is shown in the photos.[/warning]

Secure a room in Tokyo!

Booking.com

My Japan Travel Blog

This post is archived under my Japan Travel Blog:
japan-travelogue

1. yunzz says:

any recommendations for places for fruits picking in early December? somewhere near Tokyo or hakone are will be good.

also any places to recommend for farm stay too?

2. Lina says:

this is my first time to Tokyo. which hotel would you recommend that is economical and convenient

3. Hui Ling says:

Hi Bumblebeemum,

stumbled across your travel blog and I am so happy to learn about so many things about travelling to Japan. I did a 7 day travel similar to the one you did with the japan rail pass to osaka, kyoto and miyajima last year and enjoyed myself.

I am planning for a 10 days trips with 7 adults this year end and have already gotten air tickets from Dec 1 – 10.

This is my plan

Dec 1 – arrive at NRT
    Dec 2 – Travel to Kyoto
    Dec 3 – Kyoto to Kanazawa
    Dec 4 – Kanazawa to Shirakawago to Takayama back to Tokyo
    Dec 5 – Tokyo
    Dec 6 – Tokyo
    Dec 7 – Fuji 5 lakes / Hakone
    Dec 8 – Fuji 5 lakes / Haone then back to Tokyo
    Dec 9 – Tokyo
    Dec 10 – Tokyo, flight back home in evening

After reading your blog, I am now very interested to do self drive at Fuji 5 lakes and Hakone and even extending the drive to the part from Kanazawa to Takayama through Shirakawago.

Some questions:

1) Do you think my itinerary is feasible?
    2) Are the driving distances between places in Fuji 5 lakes and Hakone long? Wondering if I should extend it to 3 days 2 nights now instead of 2 days 1 night? Thinking of visiting the safari now after reading your blog, will be exciting. How long is the lake Ashi cruise?
    3) When you were in Tokyo, did you purchase the Suica card?
    4) Have you driven in Kyoto? Would you recommend it?
    5) For the part from Kanazawa to Shirakawago to Takayama, would you recommend self drive as well? I wonder what will the weather condition be like then. Snow? The cost of renting a car seems to be more economical as compared to buying the JR Central Pass.
    6) Should I start booking the accomodations now? As I browse more, the more I worry because it looks like the rooms are snapped up very quickly (even now?! 4 mths away!)

Welcome your recommendations.

Thank you.

1) Your current itinerary looks way too rushed. And is there any reason you are going back to Tokyo after Kyoto and heading out to Mount Fuji again? Mount Fuji is in between Kyoto and Tokyo.

2) The drive from Hakone to Fuji 5 Lakes region is about 1.5 hours. Yes, you definitely should stay at least 2 nights at Hakone + Fuji Five Lakes region. For my past 2 trips to the region, I stayed 3 nights each time (1 night at Hakone / 2 nights at Fuji Five Lakes) and found the duration just right. The round trip cruise of Lake Ashi was about an hour.

3) I used to have a Suica card, but I lost it and never got down to replacing it.. lol. But I do recommend getting one if you are moving around Tokyo a lot, it is extremely handy.

4) Nope, I have never driven in Kyoto. But it is something I would definitely consider for my next Kyoto trip because I don’t like taking buses. If I have a big group like you, I would definitely consider driving in a 7 or 8 seater.

5) In general, once out of major cities in Japan, I prefer self-driving. I would think there is a possibility of snow in the region in December. I went to the Shin-Hotaka Ropeway near Takayama before in December and it was snowing there, though it was not snowing at Takayama. Shirakawago does seem to see snow in December:
      The key to planning a self-drive trip taking into account the possibility of snow is to keep your itinerary loose and drive slow. When using Google Map to estimate driving times, double the time required in the event it snows because you will have to drive at half the speed. Always reach your accommodation by 4pm (sun sets at 4pm in winter) and never drive in the dark. You can read more winter driving tips under the comments of this post, in my reply to Julie (first comment):

For large groups, it is generally cheaper to self-drive. My concern would be how you all can fit into 1 car. A 7 or 8 seater can fit 7 pax, but not with all your luggage. You would need 2 cars and have to coordinate the movement of the 2 cars.

6) There is no harm in booking accommodations early if there is no penalty for modification or cancellation on a later date.

• Anonymous says:

Thanks for ur tips. Shall relook and see how. Travelling with 2 elderly, thought will be good to have a ‘break’ in between. Do not, want to lug the luggage ard. Maybe i shall let go of kyoto. Just focus on tokyo.

I see.. I can imagine why you would need to return to Tokyo then, if you do not wish to lug luggage around. So you will leave your large luggage in Tokyo and just bring small bags for side trips? If you do that, it may be possible to fit everyone into a single 7/8 seater and self-drive.

What I would do if I were you would be to take a 4D3N side trip to Hakone & Kawaguichiko via self-drive (making sure everyone only brings a small bag in order to fit into 1 car). I would then return to Tokyo for a day or two to re-pack our luggage. Then I would head out again for a 4D3N side trip to Kanazawa. Same thing, make sure everyone only brings a small bag. I use the shinkansen to get to Kanazawa and rent a car from there to explore Kanazawa + Shirakawago + Takayama. Kanazawa looks too far to drive from Tokyo.

• Anonymous says:

Ya. I realise Shinkanzen can get to Kanazawa straight frm Tokyo!!! But actually have sort of made up my mind to let go of this side trip since it is not very convenient. But Shirakawa is really such a nice place! Maybe i may do Nikko instead which was another place which looks nice.

My idea was like what u said to get everyone pack small bags for side trip so as to fit into one mini van.

Now I am thinking if I shd buy the 7 day rail pass… Looks like not necessary anymore if I am not gg to Kyoto and Kanazawa. Only shinkanzen is to odawara…. And frm there I will rent a car to go ard right? And within tokyo… Jr pass not useful unless JR train….

Yeah, Shirakawago is definitely on my to-visit list, but it is so far off from Tokyo that I have never made it there. The furthest I went was to Takayama and I made do with visiting Hida Folk Village which looked like a miniature Shirakawago.. haha.

Nikko would be a great idea. I love Nikko and am waiting for a chance to visit it in its autumn. Sadly I am tied down to travelling only during school holidays and haven’t been able to see its autumn. :(

Nope, you definitely do not need the rail pass if you are just going Mount Fuji. Since there are so many of you, why not consider driving there straight from Tokyo instead of taking the train to Odawara first?

4. Mrs. Kolca says:

We are staying at Mitsui Garden Hotel Ueno next month. So so excited with the sakura panda room!!

5. Aaron says:

Hi…
    You’re review is very good. I liked it!
    My friend wants to go to Tokyo within several days from today, She’s taking her daughter, so,
    I want to ask about panda room at Mitsui Garden Ueno, can we take home the panda doll or should we pay for it? Thank you.