{Travel Tuesday #13} Okinawa With Kids – Indoor Attractions for Rainy Days

When visiting a resort island like Okinawa, the one thing I was most worried about was the weather.  The last thing I wanted was to be trapped in the hotel on a rainy day with bored kids.  Not after all the hassle of having to make transits to fly all the way there. (I know I know, some of you must be thinking why I’m whining about making transits.  I’m just too pampered living in Singapore where we have direct flights to half the world.  Yes, envy me.)

okinawa with kids indoor attractions feature

Hence, I made some wet weather plans for our trip to Okinawa with kids.  Not that I eventually needed them because it was bright and sunny throughout our trip! (Yes, once again, envy me.)  But to answer your question, “Where to go in Okinawa with kids when it rains?”, here we go!

1.  Churaumi Aquarium

This place is definitely on your itinerary if you are visiting Okinawa with kids.  So you may want to choose a *touch wood* rainy day to visit it – since it is totally indoors!

Related post: Churaumi Aquarium Review

Map: Show location on google map

Telephone number: +81 980-48-2741 (key in 0980482741 for GPS)

Map Code (what is this?): 553075797

Official Websites: Homepage

2.  Ocean Expo Park

While the Ocean Expo Park itself is not sheltered, some of the attractions are sheltered.  These include the Churaumi Plaza, where kids can check out fossils of dinosaur-age marine creatures.

The Oceanic Culture Museum Exhibition Hall:

Image Source: Ocean Expo Park

Image Source: Ocean Expo Park

And the Planetarium:

Image Source: Ocean Expo Park

Related Post: Okinawa Ocean Expo Park Review

Map: Show location on google map

Telephone number: +81 980-48-2741 (key in 0980482741 for GPS)

Map Code (what is this?): 553075797

Official Website: Homepage

3.  Mihama American Village

Okinawa Mihama American Village 01

Where wet-weather plans are concerned, one thing that comes to mind is shopping.  And one of the most popular shopping spots in Okinawa is Mihama American village!

Okinawa Mihama American Village 02

Mihama American Village is essentially a ‘village’ made up of many buildings.  It is not totally sheltered, and you would still have to grab an umbrella to move around the buildings. But I recommend coming here with the kids when the weather is bad because of this:

Okinawa Mihama American Village 03

Mihama Kids Park.  An indoor playground that is good for all weathers! Except maybe during typhoons – don’t even bother getting out of the hotel when that happens.

Okinawa Mihama American Village 04

And if the rain and clouds clear in the evening, don’t forget to hop over to Sunset Beach to check out the beautiful sunset!

Related Post: Scenic Capes, Lighthouses and Sunsets in Central Okinawa

Telephone number: +81 98-926-5678 (key in 0989265678 for GPS)

Map Code (what is this?): 33 526 450

Official Website: Homepage

4.  AEON Mall Okinawa Rycom – Okinawa Resort Mall

AEON Mall Okinawa Rycom - Okinawa Resort Mall 00

AEON Mall Okinawa Rycom is a spanking new mall that opened in April this year.  It is THE place to go if you do not wish to get wet on a rainy day.  There is a basement carpark that links directly into the sheltered air-conditioned mall! The mall was pretty kids-friendly.  Okay, pretty is an understatement.  Make that SUPER kids-friendly.

AEON Mall Okinawa Rycom - Okinawa Resort Mall 01

There was a tank, set up by Churaumi Aquarium in the centre of the mall.   Which the kids were quite attracted to despite the fact that they have seen the much bigger tanks at Churaumi Aquarium already.

AEON Mall Okinawa Rycom - Okinawa Resort Mall 02

There were also kids-friendly amenities like the above ride-on trolley and nice nursing rooms.  Yes, I was taking photos of nice nursing rooms even in Okinawa.  Occupational hazard.  I couldn’t resist.  (In case you do not know, I have been taking photos of nursing rooms in Singapore for the past 4 years.)

AEON Mall Okinawa Rycom - Okinawa Resort Mall 07

There was a free playground, which was great for young children.

AEON Mall Okinawa Rycom - Okinawa Resort Mall 03

There was also an indoor playground at AEON Mall Okinawa Rycom, which kind of reminded me of Singkids and Petite Park.

AEON Mall Okinawa Rycom - Okinawa Resort Mall 06

An arcade.

AEON Mall Okinawa Rycom - Okinawa Resort Mall 09

And, Toys R Us.  A mall with a Toys R Us can never go wrong when out with kids.

AEON Mall Okinawa Rycom - Okinawa Resort Mall 08

And inside Toys R Us, there was a Thomas Train table!!! (I’m a mum of two boys.  Thomas train tables always get me excited.)

AEON Mall Okinawa Rycom - Okinawa Resort Mall 05

And a LEGO table.

AEON Mall Okinawa Rycom - Okinawa Resort Mall 04

Address: Awase Land Readjustment Zone 4th Block, Kitanakagusuku Village, Okinawa 901-2300

Telephone number: +81 98-930-0425 (key in 0989300425 for GPS)

Map Code (what is this?): 33 530 406 *45

Official Website: Homepage

5.  Okinawa Outlet Mall Ashibanaa

Another popular shopping spot in Okinawa is Outlet Mall Ashibanaa.  I didn’t get to visit it because it was too far from my resort, Renaissance Okinawa Resort.  But if you are in the Southern part of Okinawa or around Naha, Okinawa Outlet Mall Ashibanaa would probably be more convenient for you!

Address: 901-0225 Toyosaki 1-188, Tomigusuku city, Okinawa prefecture

Telephone number: +81 120-151-427 (key in 0120151427 for GPS)

Map Code (what is this?): 232 544 571

Official Website: Homepage

Pin it up for later!

okinawa with kids indoor attractions

Posts from the same trip

My Japan Travel Blog

Find more Japan travel itineraries and travel tips on my Japan Travel Blog!

Linking Up!

Packing my SuitcaseTravel+Tuesday+Logo My Brown Paper Packages

Hope you enjoyed this week’s Travel Tuesday sharing!  For more travel tales, visit the posts in the Linky below or visit my Travel Tuesday Archive

Travel Tuesday Linky

Travel Tuesday Bumble Bee Mum
Grab my button:

Share your travel moment or travel tip!

Simply click ‘Add you Link’ to share your blog post. :)

A new linky will be up every Tuesday at 00.05 (Singapore Time GMT+8). So check back again next Tuesday for new sharings and to share more posts!

30 Comments on {Travel Tuesday #13} Okinawa With Kids – Indoor Attractions for Rainy Days

September 30, 2015 at 8:24 pm (1 year ago)

Yes, we were very lucky indeed. We were most worried about encountering a typhoon, but thank goodness we did not. :p

1. S.Ching
    September 29, 2015 at 10:02 am (1 year ago)

The outlet mall will be my choice! LOL!

September 30, 2015 at 8:30 pm (1 year ago)

Now I know who is the shopaholic.

2. Pinay Flying High
    September 29, 2015 at 5:02 pm (1 year ago)

I never realized how any place could be this kid-friendly. Great list! :)

3. Phoebe
    September 29, 2015 at 6:02 pm (1 year ago)

AEON Mall?? I always thought its only in JB :) MIHAMA American village would be my choice for wet weather plans :)

September 30, 2015 at 8:39 pm (1 year ago)

Hahaha… I know right… The first time I saw AEON in Japan, I was also like.. eh.. I thought Aeon was from Malaysia. But apparently Aeon is actually from Japan. They also have AEON Big in Japan too!

4. Waiwai
    September 29, 2015 at 7:56 pm (1 year ago)

My hubby would not be very keen with shopping malls, think we would love to visit the aquarium!

5. Angie.S
    September 29, 2015 at 10:07 pm (1 year ago)

Which are the wetter months in Okinawa? For wet weather, our choice would be the aquarium too!

6. mmlittlee
    September 29, 2015 at 11:25 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you for sharing this list! Again, the CHURAUMI AQUARIUM is looking Awesome!

7. Susan
    September 29, 2015 at 11:34 pm (1 year ago)

Wow you’ve certainly got this trip to Okinawa all covered! I know I’ll certainly hit the malls if it rains :)

September 30, 2015 at 8:45 pm (1 year ago)

Haha.. sometimes I think I’m a bit overboard with my vacation planning. I make wet weather plans, typhoon plans, snow storm plans (in the case of Hokkaido), Plan A Plan B Plan C depending on whether the kids decide to nap or don’t nap, map out potential pit stops etc. But 90% of the time I don’t use them and end up going with original Plan A. But I guess I should just blog about my alternative plans since I spent so much time making them, don’t waste.

8. Kless @ The J Babies
    September 30, 2015 at 8:33 am (1 year ago)

Love it that there are so many fun things for kids in Okinawa, especially those involving nature and animals. :) I’ve never really thought of Okinawa as a suitable holiday destination with kids. Now I do. :)

September 30, 2015 at 9:01 pm (1 year ago)

I blame it on package tours conducted by Singapore travel companies. All the itineraries for Singapore tour groups usually revolve around Naha city centre, shopping spots and the aquarium – catered more for the shopaholic Singaporeans, less so for families. In a way, Okinawa is kind of misrepresented by these ‘classic tours’ promoted in Singapore. Beyond Naha City Centre and the outlet malls, there is so much beauty and nature and activities for the whole family!

9. Lydia C. Lee
    September 30, 2015 at 9:52 am (1 year ago)

You really did a lot!!

September 30, 2015 at 9:04 pm (1 year ago)

We did, didn’t we. I guess good weather + rental car played a very important role!

10. Min (@riteofthemiddle)
    September 30, 2015 at 1:43 pm (1 year ago)

Wow – makes ME want to be a kid again! Singapore sure is a great place for kids! :-)

September 30, 2015 at 9:06 pm (1 year ago)

This post is on Okinawa in Japan. :p But Singapore is a great place for kids too!! :)

11. Rachel ¦¦ A Nesting Nomad
    September 30, 2015 at 8:13 pm (1 year ago)

To be honest, I’d be keen on quite a few of these even if it was sunny! Some aquarium time and some shopping time sounds good to me. And who doesn’t love a Lego table?!

September 30, 2015 at 9:05 pm (1 year ago)

Hahaha… Lego tables are ubiquitous around the world! And a lifesaver when out with kids.

12. Shobha
    October 1, 2015 at 2:38 am (1 year ago)

That mall looks great! There is nothing better than the mall for a rainy day. The kids can play and eat and stay dry. You may even get some shopping done :-)

October 1, 2015 at 9:59 am (1 year ago)

Haha… Yes, malls are always great for wet weather. But they are not always entertaining for the kids, who tend to get bored on shopping trips. Thankfully the malls at Okinawa are packed with kids-friendly facilities!

13. Malinda (@MBPaperPackages)
    October 1, 2015 at 5:15 pm (1 year ago)

The weather really is one of those things you cannot plan around, that aquarium looks awesome rain or shine!
    Thanks for linking up for #wednesdaywanderlust

14. Jenny
    May 23, 2016 at 2:14 pm (5 months ago)

very helpful blog – thank you so much

May 24, 2016 at 1:07 am (5 months ago)

Thank you for your kinds words! :)

15. Dream
    July 12, 2016 at 1:07 pm (4 months ago)

May I know how did you book the flight to okinawa? Is the place safe from the radiation? Is there other mode of transport beside self drive?

July 13, 2016 at 11:45 am (4 months ago)

We flew to Taipei via Scoot Airlines. Then we booked separate tickets from Taipei to Naha via Peach Airlines.

Regarding, Okinawa is as far in Japan from Fukushima as you can get. It is in fact nearer to Taiwan than mainland Japan.

You can get around by bus in Okinawa if you are not driving.

16. Happy Family
    July 28, 2016 at 2:30 am (3 months ago)

Thank you for your sharing. Your pictures are beautiful and your comments are fun to read. I have three boys and will be going to Okinawa early August. I think I will do all your recommended activities for kids whether it’s on sunny or rainy day. I am also reading your other blog sites on Okinawa trip with kids for ideas. You save me lots of time in my planning. Thanks again (big applause)!

July 28, 2016 at 1:23 pm (3 months ago)

Welcome. Thanks for popping by. Hope you have a GREAT time in Okinawa! :)