{Travel Tuesday #18} Tokyo Family Attractions (By Region)

Tokyo Kids-Friendly Attractions (by region) - Bumble Bee Mum

• Where should I visit in Tokyo with kids?
  • How many days do I need?
  • How should I group the attractions together?

Tokyo is PACKED with kids-friendly attractions.  There is no way I could possibly exhaust all the amazing places you can visit with the kids.  In this post, I have listed the more famous attractions and grouped them together by area.  Personally, I recommend doing a mix of traditional and modern-fun in a day to really experience what Japan is all about.  So I have thrown in some traditional sites which are not what you would usually call kids-friendly attractions, but I feel they are good to hop into if you are in that vicinity.

Ueno / Asakusa Area

Ueno Zoo

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Ueno Zoo

(Image Source: Tokyo-Zoo.net)

Ueno Zoo is the oldest zoo in Japan.  What makes Ueno Zoo popular is not just the zoo itself, but the whole park in which it is situated at. Within Ueno Park, you can find temples and shrines, as well as the National Science Museum which kids will probably love for the dinosaur fossils.  Ueno Park is particularly popular in cherry blossom season.

Official Website: Ueno Zoo | National Science Museum

Asakusa Sensoji Temple

With its signature Kaminarimon entrance and row of touristy shops leading up to the main temple ground, this is a must-visit for all first-time visitors to Tokyo.  Just 3 stops down the Tokyo Metro Ginza line from Ueno station.

Related Post: Visit to Tokyo with Kids (Nov 2013)

Official Website: Asakusa Sensoji Temple

Tokyo Sky Tree

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Tokyo Sky Tree

A relatively new attraction in Tokyo, Tokyo Sky Tree is the tallest building in Japan at 634m. There are two observation decks for you to get a birds eye view of the city. From Asakusa, it is possible to walk to Tokyo Sky Tree.  Or just hop on the Toei Asakusa Line for 2 stops.

Related Post: Visit to Tokyo with Kids (Nov 2013)

Official Website: Tokyo Sky Tree

Sumida Aquarium

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Sumida Aquarium

(Image Source: Sumida Aquarium)

And if the kids are feeling bored from the temple and unimpressed by one of the tallest observation decks in the world, drop in a visit to Sumida Aquarium at the foot of Tokyo Sky Tree.

Official Website: Sumida Aquarium

Shibuya / Harajuku / Shinjuku Area

Tokyo Fire Museum

For some fun for free  in Tokyo, head to Tokyo Fire Museum.  Tokyo is no stranger to earthquakes, typhoons and other natural disasters.  Find out more about the city’s emergency preparedness measures with exhibits ranging from fire helicopters to uniforms.  Conveniently located next to Yotsuya-Sanchome station,  just 3 stops from Shinjuku station (2 from Shinjuku-Sanchome station) on the Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line.

Related Post: Tokyo Fire Museum Review

Official Website: Tokyo Fire Museum

Meiji Jingu

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Meiji Jingu

(Image Source: Meiji Jingu)

Amid the hip and modern neighbourhood of Harajuku and Shibuya lies the quaint and traditional Meiji Jingu (Meiji Shrine), one of Japan’s most visited shrines.  A great escape from the hustle and bustle of the city where you can engage in some traditional shinto activities.

Official Website: Meiji Jingu

Hie Shrine

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Hie Shrine Akasaka Mitsuke

If you are headed towards Shibuya or Shinjuku from the West, why not make quick stop at Akasaka-Mitsuke station to visit Hie Shrine? I love the rows of mini tori gates leading up to the shrine and the sight of this traditional shrine against the skyscrapers of modern Tokyo.

Related Post:  Short Getaway to Tokyo (June 2007)

Official Website: Hie Shrine

Ikebukuro Area

J-World Tokyo

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - J World Tokyo

J-World Tokyo is a mini Anime themed park within Sunshine City Ikebukuro.  Themed rides, themed games and themed food await fans of One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball, Prince of Tennis etc.

Related Post: Visit to Tokyo with Kids (Nov 2013)

Official Website: J-World Tokyo

Sunshine Aquarium

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Sunshine Aquarium

(Image Source: Sunshine Aquarium)

There is no lack of aquarium at Tokyo it seems.  At Sunshine City, you will find Sunshine Aquarium, popular for its ‘Sky Oasis’ concept.

Official Website: Sunshine Aquarium

Odaiba Area

Legoland Discovery Centre

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Legoland Discovery Centre

(Image Source: Legoland Discovery Centre)

Over 3 million LEGO bricks, interactive LEGO laser ride and 4D Cinema are just some of the attractions you can find at Legoland Discovery Centre Tokyo.  If your kids are fans of Lego, this is THE place to go.

Official Website: Legoland Discovery Centre

Tokyo Trick Art Museum

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Tokyo Trick Art Museum

If you love trick art, this small trick art museum at Decks Tokyo Beach Island Mall at Odaiba can buy you and the kids a bit of entertainment.

Related Post: Visit to Tokyo with Kids (Nov 2013)

Official Website: Tokyo Trick Art Museum

Museum of Maritime Science

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Museum of Maritime science

(Image Source: Museum of Maritime Science)

If you have time to spare in Odaiba, check out the Museum of Maritime Science.  And what better way to introduce visitors to Maritime Science than with a museum built within a full-sized ocean liner!

Official Website: Museum of Maritime Science

Kidzania Tokyo

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Kidzania Tokyo

(Image Source: Kidzania Tokyo)

Not exactly at Odaiba but near enough and reachable on the Yurikamome line that serves Odaiba (or arrive in style on a water bus from Odaiba), you will find Tokyo’s Kidzania.  Never heard of Kidzania? They are the king of pretend-play – with locations around the world where children can participate in various occupations and earn some spending Kidzania money!

Official Website: Kidzania Tokyo

Around Tokyo Disney Resort

Tokyo Disney Resort

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Tokyo Disneyland

Do I need to say more?  If you are planning to visit both Tokyo Disneyland and Disneysea, it is recommended to spend 3 days there.

Related Post: Tokyo Themed Hotels with Character Rooms

Official Website: Tokyo Disney Resort

Tokyo Sea Life Park

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Tokyo Sea Life Park

(Image Source: Tokyo-Zoo.net)

Just 1 stop away from Tokyo Disney Resort (Maihama station) on the JR line, you can reach Tokyo Sea Life Park (Kasai Rinkai Koen station).  Making this a popular extended trip for families who are staying around Tokyo Disney Resort area.

Official Website: Tokyo Sea Life Park

Tokyo Subway Museum

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Tokyo Subway Museum

(Image Source: Tokyo Subway Museum)

A mere 3 km from Tokyo Sea Life Park, you will find Tokyo Subway Museum.  Expect to find train exhibits – both real and models, as well as train simulators.  Although Tokyo Subway Museum is very near Tokyo Sea Life Park, getting between these two places by rail is a pain – I recommend just cabbing across if you would like to visit them on the same day.

Official Website: Tokyo Subway Museum

Sanrio Puroland

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Sanrio Puroland

Probably the next most popular themed park visited by families after Tokyo Disney Resort, this is THE place to find all your favourite Sanrio characters.  Not just Hello Kitty but also My Melody, Little Twin Stars, Cinnamoroll etc.

Related Post: Japan Vacation Ideas for Hello Kitty Fans

Official website: Sanrio Puroland

Doraemon Museum

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Doraemon Museum 2

The official name of this place is Fujiko F Fujio Museum.  But really, I think we can all relate better if they call it DORAEMON museum. Note that this is a MUSEUM.  So don’t expect shows and rides like Tokyo Disney Resort or Sanrio Puroland.  What you will find here are exhibits about the popular manga / anime – Doraemon.  And an extremely popular Doraemon cafe.

Tip for purchasing tickets:  Entry to Doraemon Museum is strictly by pre-booked time slots. You can purchase tickets for your desired timeslot via Bridge.jpn or Voyagin.

Official Website: Doraemon Museum

Ghibli Museum

Tokyo Kids Friendly Attractions - Ghilbi Museum

Enter the magical world of Totoro and other Ghibli characters.  No idea who they are? Then I guess you can skip this place.  If you are a fan, you wouldn’t want to miss it.

Tip for purchasing tickets:  Entry to Ghibli Museum is strictly by pre-booked time slots. You can purchase tickets for your desired timeslot via Bridge.jpn or Voyagin.

Official Website: Ghibli Museum

Mother Farm

Located at Chiba, Mother Farm is becoming an increasingly popular destination among families visiting Tokyo. Experience cow milking, watch a duck parade, go fruit picking (seasonal), go on some retro amusement rides – a day of fun awaits the kids!

Related Post: Mother Farm (Chiba, Tokyo) Blog Review

Official Website: Mother Farm

Country Farm Tokyo German Village

Also located at in the outskirts at Chiba, Tokyo German Village is popular for its seasonal flower fields in summer and illumination in winter.  There are some small retro amusement park rides here as well.

Official Website: Country Farm Tokyo German Village

How many days do you think you need for a Tokyo trip with kids?

Which attractions do you think your kids would enjoy the most?

Pin it up for later!

Tokyo Kids-Friendly Attractions (by region) - Bumble Bee Mum

Like / Follow on Instagram!

Looking for Kids-Friendly Accommodation in Tokyo?

tokyo themed hotels facebook feature

Read about Tokyo Themed Hotels with Character Rooms!

My Japan Travel Blog

Find more Japan travel tips & sample itineraries on my Japan Travel Blog:

Linking Up!

My Brown Paper Packages  Wanderlust Wednesday Link Up

Hope you enjoyed this week’s Travel Tuesday sharing!  For more travel tales, visit the posts in the Linky below or visit my Travel Tuesday Archive

Travel Tuesday Linky

Travel Tuesday Bumble Bee Mum
Grab my button:

Share your travel moment or travel tip!

Simply click ‘Add you Link’ to share your blog post. :)

A new linky will be up every Tuesday at 00.05 (Singapore Time GMT+8). So check back again next Tuesday for new sharings and to share more posts!

41 Comments on {Travel Tuesday #18} Tokyo Family Attractions (By Region)

1. Lydia C. Lee
    November 3, 2015 at 3:32 am (12 months ago)

Wow! So many things to do – I have to admit I love trick eye. You could easily spend your whole time at these places!!

November 3, 2015 at 10:41 am (12 months ago)

I remember the very first time I came across a trick art museum in Jeju and was super impressed! Then when we saw the one in Tokyo while visiting Odaiba, we just had to go in. But subsequently, Singapore opened TWO trick art museums one after another and now we’re like, OKAY… Trick art… again…

But what I like about Tokyo Trick Art Museum is the section that is Japanese-themed.. like the Ninjas!

2. FunFlyingFour
    November 3, 2015 at 7:55 am (12 months ago)

super informative, definitely sharing on my fb page (if thats ok?!) I think a lot of people will get a lot of use out of this post.

November 3, 2015 at 10:33 am (12 months ago)

Sure! TIA for sharing. :)

3. Sally@Toddlers on Tour
    November 3, 2015 at 9:59 am (12 months ago)

The zoo sounds great with a mixture of shrines and animals to explore. And what little boy wouldn’t love the fire engine museum and lego land. So many kids activites I wasn’t aware of.

November 3, 2015 at 10:36 am (12 months ago)

Ueno Park is really a very interesting place – worth a whole day’s visit! It encompasses what Tokyo is all about – Traditional shrines and modern-day attractions like zoo and museum all nestled in a park lined with cherry blossom trees. I would love to go there during cherry blossom season.

4. Lyn Lee
    November 3, 2015 at 1:08 pm (12 months ago)

J World looks great! Didn’t know they had a Legoland there too, but I suppose it’s more of a Discovery Centre than a Theme Park with rides. I can just imagine how fun Kidzania there would be – just hoping they have enough English speaking staff, which I guess they should!

November 3, 2015 at 8:10 pm (12 months ago)

Yeah, it’s not really like Legoland. Discovery Centre is the official term – much smaller scale and more hands-on exploration than rides I guess.

I had the same thought about Kidzania in Tokyo – whether they have staff that speak English. I guess it would be quite hard to enjoy Kidzania if the staff do not speak English. But with Kidzania opening soon in Singapore, I’m not sure I would want to spend my precious time in Japan at Kidzania Tokyo.

5. Adeline
    November 3, 2015 at 1:46 pm (12 months ago)

You are really the queen of travelling! We don’t have plans to go to Japan at the moment, but if we do go, there are so many places from this list that I want to visit, like Disneyland (duh), Ghilbi Museum, and Ueno Park!

November 3, 2015 at 8:13 pm (12 months ago)

Ghilbi Museum is extremely popular! It requires pre-booked tickets by time slots, so it’s a bit of a hassle to visit imo. But that doesn’t seem to stop people from wanting to visit. :)

And I can’t believe after being to Tokyo uncountable times, I have never done a proper visit of Ueno Park before. How I wish Singapore school holidays coincided with sakura season.

6. Phoebe
    November 3, 2015 at 3:20 pm (12 months ago)

That’s really a good list of attractions. I hope by the time my family can go my kids will not be too old then…

November 3, 2015 at 8:14 pm (12 months ago)

Haha… If they are too old for all these, just ditch them in Singapore and go with your husband. There’s plenty to explore in Tokyo without kids!

7. Angie.S
    November 3, 2015 at 4:05 pm (12 months ago)

Tokyo alone has SO MANY family-friendly attractions, how to finish visiting all? I think even if you’re a seasoned traveller, you’ll still love to return to Tokyo in a heartbeat 😀

November 3, 2015 at 8:18 pm (12 months ago)

I don’t think I will ever finish visiting them all? I must be getting old, because nowadays I prefer exploring the more rural parts of Japan and just taking thing slooowwww. Tokyo is anything but slow. But I should try to at least strike off 1 item from the list each time I’m flying through Tokyo.. Like some bucket list.

8. Cynthia Koh
    November 3, 2015 at 5:45 pm (12 months ago)

Very information compilation! I am so wanting to go all places but I wonder how long a trip is ever enough…. Will definitely keep this compilation for my next trip. Thanks for sharing!

November 3, 2015 at 8:22 pm (12 months ago)

Since when is a trip ever long enough? Lol…

9. Debs G
    November 3, 2015 at 6:06 pm (12 months ago)

Wow, this is a VERY comprehensive list! So many attractions to see – one trip is definitely not enough!

November 3, 2015 at 8:23 pm (12 months ago)

I think so too… So I guess it’s about prioritizing based on interest! :)

10. Waiwai
    November 3, 2015 at 8:43 pm (12 months ago)

Have been to Tokyo 3 times before having children, this place is getting more and more exciting!

November 3, 2015 at 8:46 pm (12 months ago)

I went to Tokyo uncountable times before we had kids and never took notice of most of these places. Maybe only Disneyland and Disneysea. Travelling with kids changes the way we see the world! :p

11. Vivien
    November 3, 2015 at 9:16 pm (12 months ago)

Thank you for being so detailed and informative! I know where I will go to search for more info when I go Japan for a trip with the kids now. Here! :)

November 4, 2015 at 8:21 am (12 months ago)

Welcome to the blog of the self-proclaimed Japan travel guru. ;p

12. Meiling
    November 3, 2015 at 10:24 pm (12 months ago)

Wow!! This is a great list!! Will definitely link up with you on Tokyo. We have the exact same Ninja photo from Tokyo Trick Art Museum. We did not get a chance to check out UENO Zoo, but will definitely do so next time. Great post!

November 4, 2015 at 8:25 am (12 months ago)

Hahaha… THAT Ninja photo is so fun right?? I have never thought of visiting Ueno Zoo since Singapore Zoo is pretty good and we have pandas at River Safari. I am more interested in the National Science Museum.. and sakura. Sigh.. When will I ever get to travel during sakura season…

13. RobRob @TravelLatte(.net)
    November 4, 2015 at 7:12 am (12 months ago)

So many fun things to do! Makes me wish I was a kid again! Also makes me think we need a Trick Art Museum here in the USA! Thanks for sharing. #TravelTuesday

November 4, 2015 at 8:32 am (12 months ago)

You mean there’s no Trick Art Museum in USA? Is it like some Asian fad? I have seen 1 in Korea, 2 in Japan and 2 right here in Singapore.. Until I’m starting to think they are everywhere.

14. Ruth
    November 4, 2015 at 1:13 pm (12 months ago)

So many things to do! I am sorry but I would like to go to the Sanrio Park and the Ghilbi Museum. Not sure if my husband would like those choices but I can leave him eating something somewhere.

November 4, 2015 at 10:25 pm (12 months ago)

My husband was not very pleased when I had Sanrio Puroland in our itinerary. But not that he could do anything about it since I do all the vacation plannings. And it’s not the first (nor last) time I dragged him and the boys along with me on my Hello Kitty craze. :p

15. Malinda (@MBPaperPackages)
    November 4, 2015 at 5:29 pm (12 months ago)

Will have to keep this in mind as I hope we get to plan a trip to Japan next year – fingers crossed.
    Thanks for joining in #wednesdaywanderlust

November 4, 2015 at 10:28 pm (12 months ago)

I look forward to reading your travel tales and seeing your travel photos if you do visit Japan!

16. Rachel ¦¦ A Nesting Nomad
    November 4, 2015 at 8:59 pm (12 months ago)

Wow, that is a lot of things. Truly something for everyone! Top of my list would be the Lego discovery centre! It looks like a lot of fun. I think I’d also be quite intrigued by any earthquake related museums. I remember one of my favourite things as a child was going on the earthquake simulator in the Natural History Museum in London, which is set in Japan. You’re in a shop surrounded by Japanese food and all the things start falling off the shelves… It was quite the novelty for someone who’s never experienced an earthquake in real life!

November 4, 2015 at 10:37 pm (12 months ago)

The earthquake simulator sounds interesting! I love natural history museums. Hope to visit the one in London some day!

17. Linda chia
    January 2, 2016 at 6:49 am (10 months ago)

So many places to go besides Disneyland & disneysea! Hmm how to plan a 12 days trip with kids! Like cannot cover all destination..

January 3, 2016 at 9:05 am (10 months ago)

I’ve been to Japan more than 10 times and only covered maybe half of these? Just prioritize. Most people who have been to Japan will want to go again, so you can leave some for future trips. :p

18. Rakel
    January 2, 2016 at 4:58 pm (10 months ago)

I just found your site and I love it. I’m planning on visiting Tokyo soon with my little kids and I’ll be sure to use your site to help me plan the perfect trip!

January 3, 2016 at 9:07 am (10 months ago)

Tokyo has lot of great fun for little kids. Though I’m not a fan of dragging my kids around their train stations.. :p I’m sure you will have a blast nevertheless. Thank for you dropping by. :)

19. annielje
    February 25, 2016 at 2:29 pm (8 months ago)

hi, for first time traveler with kids to tokyo, shall i stay at shinjuku or shibuya?

February 26, 2016 at 11:42 am (8 months ago)

I actually do not think there is much difference between staying at Shinjuku or Shibuya. Shinjuku station can be insanely confusing though, I am not sure if I want to be wandering around Shinjuku station with my kids and luggage. Which airport are you arriving by? If I arrive by Narita, I actually prefer to stay at Ueno. Ueno station is a lot less intimidating and there is direct Keisei line between Narita Airport and Ueno.

20. olivia
    April 9, 2016 at 4:55 pm (7 months ago)

Hi bumblebeemum,
    I love reading your japan travel blog posts, its simply amazing & saves me tons of time figuring out where to go.
    Could I just kindly ask your advice please? We were planning to visit Japan this June and the kids definitely want to visit Disneyland for a couple of days. I think they would surely love Mother Farm & Hakone area too. Would you recommend a self drive from Tokyo to Mother Farm, then to Hakone, stay in tokyo a couple of days & finish with Disneyland?

April 9, 2016 at 11:17 pm (7 months ago)

There are two ways to do it.

First way: Rent a car to drive from Tokyo to Mother Farm to Hakone and back to Tokyo.
      Second way: Rent a car for one day while in Tokyo to visit Mother Farm as a day trip. Then take a train to Hakone and rent a car there to drive around Mount Fuji region then train back to Tokyo again.

For the first way, if you are flying Haneda, what I would recommend is actually for you to start with Tokyo Disney & Tokyo central, rent a car to drive to Mother Farm, Hakone and then return the car to Haneda for your flight back (i.e. you don’t return to Tokyo anymore).

• olivia
        April 10, 2016 at 11:24 pm (7 months ago)

Thanks so much for your advice! The first way sounds great! =)