From 1 to 15 December 2015, we went on a self-drive trip around Japan, covering more than 2000 km and chalking up more than 30,000yen in toll fees.  A bit crazy and definitely not something I recommend for first timers, but we chalked off random items from our bucket list such as driving the Golden Route, snow monkeys, Hello Kitty Onsen and driving on a beach.

Why self-drive?

Driving in mainland Japan was quite different from driving in Hokkaido or Okinawa.  For one, it was a much more expensive. Parking was exorbitant. Traffic lights were annoying. Traffic jams stretched for miles along the expressways in spite of hefty toll fees. The only consolation was that petrol was pretty cheap compared to Singapore (on average 120 JPY per litre when we were there).

But when I had doubts whether I made the right choice to drive instead of taking a bullet train (shinkansen), I recalled our recent *tiring* trip to Taiwan with the kids where we used the Taiwan High Speed Rail and the kids refused to sleep on the train. And I think self-drive was still the lesser of two evils when out with the kids.

Due to the sheer distance we had to cover each day, the kids were well rested from their naps in the car and ready to go whenever we reached a destination.  We were spared the agony of shuffling around train stations with luggage + stroller + whiny kids looking for the right platform to make tight connections between trains that left on the dot.  Without kids, I probably wouldn’t want to do this self-drive trip and stick to the much faster shinkansen, especially with the new Hokuriku shinkansen line.  But with kids, I think self driving was the more relaxing way to go.

Ultimately, I think it was sheer laziness.  Searching for train routes on Hyperdia is a pain, compared to keying in a map code on the GPS.

TIMES Car Rental

TIMES car rental was the cheapest I could find after comparing some car rental companies that have a rental desk at Narita Airport. Our 15 days car rental for a C1G class vehicle, round-trip for Narita, cost about 70,000 yen.

But please note that for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (who require child seats), a C1G class vehicle would be a bit of a squeeze.  If you have more than 1 big luggage, you would definitely need a bigger car. Our family packs very light, so we managed to fit in – by putting our only luggage case in the boot and our stroller at the space in front of the rear seats (under the kids’ feet).

ETC Card

Another important reason we chose to go with TIMES was because they offered ETC card rental.  An ETC card allowed us to breeze through toll gates along the expressways without fumbling for cash and change all the time.  It also gave us discounted toll fees on weekends. We knew we would be on the expressway a lot and hence ETC card would save us a lot of time and some money.

Promotion for Foreigners

If you are renting from TIMES car rental, please go to their JAPANESE WEBSITE and look for the banner that says “Foreign Nationality 20% off!“.  You will not see this promotion if you go directly to their English website. Sneaky, if you ask me, to hide the promotion on their Japanese website.  But not uncommon as I have shared before regarding money-saving tips for self-drive in Japan.

Support for English-speaking travellers

The staff at the desk at Narita Airport spoke English.  He told us that if we encountered any problems along the road, we can call their Narita Airport branch and there should be a staff who can speak English there.  Not sure how true that is since, thank goodness, we did not have to make any emergency calls back.

The GPS was multi-lingual and we could toggle between English and Japanese language easily.  I switched to Japanese language when I needed to key in names of destinations that I did not have the map code / telephone number for. But otherwise, the English GPS worked well enough if you are just using telephone number or map code to key in your destination.

The map codes I got from Mapion worked perfectly with the GPS on our car.

Collecting / Returning Car at Narita Airport

On arrival, we were able to drive off from the airport’s carpark – something quite rare from my experience in renting cars in Japan.  When we rented cars from New Chitose Airport and Naha Airport, we were required to take a shuttle bus to their nearest car rental branch to pick up the car.  But this time, our reserved rental car was waiting for us at the airport – fitted with the 2 child seats which we requested for during reservation.  This saved us A LOT of time.

When returning, we had to return the car to their branch, NOT the airport.  The branch’s location was stored in the car GPS as ‘HOME’, so we drove there, returned the car and took their shuttle to Narita Airport.  So please make it a point to return the car slightly more than 2 hours before your international flights so that you have sufficient time to get to the airport for check-in.

Posts from the same trip

Our Japan Travel Blog

Get more tips & tricks on Japan travel on our Japan Travel Page!

Travel Tuesday Linky

Travel Tuesday Bumble Bee Mum
Grab my button:

Welcome to ‘Travel Tuesday‘! Every TUESDAY, I will share a travel post, and at the end of the post, you will find this linky with posts from other bloggers. If you have a travel moment or travel tip to share, simple click ‘Add your Link’ to share your blog post! Do visit some of the other blogs to leave a comment and say Hi. :)

A new linky will be up every Tuesday at 00.05 (Singapore Time GMT+8). So check back again next Tuesday for new sharings and to share more posts!

This post is also part of the following link-ups:

22 Comments on {Travel Tueday #23} Japan Self-Drive – Round trip from Narita Airport with TIMES Car Rental

1. Linda @AsWeSawIt
    January 5, 2016 at 2:03 am (10 months ago)

To be honest, I had never considered renting a car in Japan, even though we enjoyed driving in Europe. I’ll take your advice to stick to the shinkasen. Trains have always appealed to me but I can certainly agree that kid paraphernalia is a good reason to rent a car. (Haha – I well remember those days!) How widely was English spoken in your travels?

January 5, 2016 at 8:00 pm (10 months ago)

Maybe it’s the language and the side of the road we drive at? I would be quite terrified of driving in Europe while I had no qualms about driving in Japan. In the sightseeing areas at major cities like Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Nagano, we could usually find staff that spoke English. But once out of the touristy areas, it’ll be quite hard to find anyone who speaks English.

2. Sally@Toddlers on Tour
    January 5, 2016 at 9:42 am (10 months ago)

I don’t think I would have been game enough to try driving through Japan.
    However as you said you know your kids needs and how they cope. Of course the other benefit to driving is you get to come and go when it suits you – not when the train says it’s time to go.

January 5, 2016 at 8:12 pm (10 months ago)

Haha.. I know.. I still remember dragging the kids out of bed to catch the train in Taiwan and they were like… ugh… And I was hoping they would continue their sleep on the train but they were like bouncing up and down and disturbing the whole carriage, and when we reached our destination to go sightseeing, they kept asking when we would be going back to the hotel because they were tired. Grrr…. At least with the car, even when we needed to set off early in the morning, we could carry the kids down, throw them into their car seats and they would just continue to zzz.

But my pampered kids aside, Japan really has one of the best rail networks around so there’s little incentive to drive except in the rural areas.

3. Rachel G
    January 5, 2016 at 12:11 pm (10 months ago)

That is quite a brave undertaking, to rent a car to see Japan! Glad it worked out so well for your family!

January 5, 2016 at 7:56 pm (10 months ago)

Japan is a great country for driving. The roads are well maintained and well-signed in English and the drivers are friendly! :)

4. laurenonlocation
    January 6, 2016 at 3:41 am (10 months ago)

I would have never thought about driving around Japan! I heard that their public transportation is pretty good, so I’d probably stick to that. Still this definitely seems to be the more comfortable option with kids! I can’t believe how expensive it seems though! Guess the same is true for driving around Europe. The gas is just so expensive!

January 6, 2016 at 10:03 am (10 months ago)

Yes, driving in usually expensive, unless there are many people to share the cost. But I guess we would pay for convenience so as not to torture ourselves. :p

Is gas very expensive in Europe? Gas is super expensive in Singapore too.. We actually thought the gas in Japan was pretty cheap. I would love to know which part of the world has the most expensive gas.. lol.

5. indrani
    January 6, 2016 at 12:02 pm (10 months ago)

I too like drives. I haven’t toured Japan yet but a seems to be a great idea from this.
    Great series of pic, particularly the one in which the kids are looking at the white tiger.

January 6, 2016 at 8:46 pm (10 months ago)

The safari drive was one of the best part of the trip. We were pretty thrilled to be able to see the white tigers so close!

6. Kassie O'Driscoll
    January 9, 2016 at 11:07 am (10 months ago)

My friends and I took a trip to mainland and, after a last minute flight cancellation, thought about renting a car. We couldn’t believe how expensive it could be! The three of us didn’t have kids so it wasn’t a hard decision to book the train instead. I really love driving because I think it really gives you flexibility, but we missed out in Japan! Looks like you had a great time.

Thanks for linking up. I hope to see you again next week!

January 11, 2016 at 9:25 am (10 months ago)

Yes, I really love the flexibility of driving. And some of the best places in Japan are hard to reach by rail. Before we had kids, we used to do a combination: By taking train a nearest train station and renting a car from there to explore the more remote destinations. But that’s just too much hassle with the kids. Easier to just drive all the way.

7. Kim
    May 3, 2016 at 3:46 pm (6 months ago)

Any idea if it’s easy to drive from Tokyo shibuya to Hakone or the lake regions? Is traffic bad and toll is it too expensive? I’m traveling with a baby and a toddler

May 3, 2016 at 4:03 pm (6 months ago)

I wouldn’t say it is difficult to drive. But yes, tolls are expensive and there were traffic jams along some parts of the expressway. I like driving because the kids can nap comfortably in the car and there is no need to move around train stations with our luggage and kids. So overall I felt the convenience outweighed the toll fees and jams. But that’s just me coz I’m lazy. :p

8. Sunny Li
    August 8, 2016 at 2:53 pm (3 months ago)

Thanks for your article. I found this on google and you save me 20%!
    I didn’t make a reservation on the English site, then try to search for review of this car rental company. Then I rebook the very same itinerary and save 4000 yen. Wonderful!

• Sunny Li
      August 8, 2016 at 2:54 pm (3 months ago)

I did* make a reservation, I mean.

9. caretoh
    August 26, 2016 at 4:49 pm (2 months ago)

Thank you for sharing!!! It’s a very good and useful article!
    I would like to rent the car from Times car rental for my coming trip to Hokkaido too. May I know what kind of car seat did you choose for your kids? How old is your kid? My kid is 7 & 5 years old, they are still using the normal car seat until now. I am just worried the car seat I choose would be too small for them.

August 30, 2016 at 3:44 pm (2 months ago)

Choose the same kind that they are using usually? My older boy at 5 was using booster and my younger one at 3 was using child seat, so I rented the same for our Japan drives. The problem is that if you rent a booster for them when overseas when they haven’t been using a booster usually, they will be very uncomfortable. You want to make sure the kids are as comfortable as possible during the long drives. So if they have been using child seats, I would recommend you rent child seats for them in Japan.

10. Sean wong
    October 4, 2016 at 4:37 pm (3 weeks ago)

Does the rental car company requires car seat for kids above 6 years old?

October 7, 2016 at 11:16 am (3 weeks ago)

Japanese law only requires car seat for children below 6. For kids above 6, it is more for their safety than anything, especially if your child is petite. If your child is tall / heavy enough to do without a booster seat, then you won’t need one.

• Sean wong
        October 7, 2016 at 1:44 pm (3 weeks ago)

Thanks for your reply.