{Travel Tuesday #30} Finding a vacation home from Homeaway

Vacation Rentals on HomeAway - Bumble Bee Mum

During our trip to Japan last December, we were invited to stay at some of the vacation rentals from HomeAway.  I have earlier blogged about the 3 homes we stayed in, and in this post I am going to share with your more about what you can find on HomeAway and how to use their website.

Vacation Rentals

HomeAway specialises in vacation rentals that offer you, as their name suggests, a home away from home.  They are particularly great for families who need more space and amenities such as kitchenette and washers.

Their selection of vacation rentals range from simple apartments with all the basic amenities you can find in a home, to exotic bucket-list-worthy stays like this Treehouse in Thailand.

They have vacation rentals that can accommodate anywhere from 1 to more than 10 people. Imagine going to Bali with your extended family and booking an entire villa!

You can also choose to experience local history and culture by staying in historic and traditional homes.

Whether you are on a city break or resort getaway, there is an amazing range of vacation rentals to choose from on HomeAway!

Features of Homeaway Website

In the video below, I will show you some of the features of the super user-friendly Homeaway website:

Note on Booking for children

In the above video, I showed you that I entered 4 guests for our family of 2 adults and 2 children.  When you contact hosts, do check with them if they are able to give you discounted rates for children.  Out of the 3 apartments I booked, one of them charged for 4 guests, one of them charged the kids half-price and one of them did not charge for kids.

On the hosts’ end, they are able to adjust the pricing before you confirm your booking, so do remember to negotiate for discounts when travelling with children.

Read about our Homeaway stays in Japan

Visit HomeAway

Find your perfect vacation home from HomeAway!

Homeaway Logo

Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Homeaway.

Vacation Rentals on HomeAway - Bumble Bee Mum

Travel Tuesday Bumble Bee Mum
Grab my button:

Welcome to ‘Travel Tuesday‘! Every TUESDAY, I will share a travel post, and at the end of the post, you will find this linky with posts from other bloggers. If you have a travel moment or travel tip to share, simple click ‘Add your Link’ to share your blog post! Do visit some of the other blogs to leave a comment and say Hi. :)

A new linky will be up every Tuesday at 00.05 (Singapore Time GMT+8). So check back again next Tuesday for new sharings and to share more posts!

This post is also part of the following link-ups:

15 Comments on {Travel Tuesday #30} Finding a vacation home from Homeaway

1. Lydia C. Lee
    February 23, 2016 at 3:14 am (8 months ago)

We’re 5 so the rental thing is becoming more and more cost effective…

February 24, 2016 at 9:47 am (8 months ago)

I can imagine with 3 or more kids, rentals will be much more cost effective than staying in hotels!

2. Rachael
    February 23, 2016 at 8:24 am (8 months ago)

I always use AirBNB but hadn’t heard of Homeaway until I read some of your posts. Is there much difference? I’ve actually had two cancellations on accommodation in Tokyo through AirBNB for an upcoming family trip, so for the first time i’m actually thinking of not using airBNB again!

February 24, 2016 at 10:01 am (8 months ago)

Is it common to get cancelled? Thank goodness I didn’t get cancelled by any of my 3 hosts! But that also means I can’t tell how HomeAway would deal with situations like cancellations by hosts.

I think Airbnb and Homeaway are pretty much the same. Ultimately I think stuff like cancellations and how good a stay is depends a lot on the host since Airbnb and Homeaway are kind of just platforms. But I find that while HomeAway has a much smaller selection of apartments compared to AirBnb, their apartments seem to be more family-oriented. So hopefully the hosts will be more family oriented too?? :p So far my experiences with the 3 Japanese hosts have been great – they all bought gifts for my kids!

3. Diana L.
    February 24, 2016 at 12:58 am (8 months ago)

I’d heard of homeaway but never used it, I didn’t know about them being able to discount the kids, will take that into consideration next time! :)

February 24, 2016 at 9:46 am (8 months ago)

The discount is really up to the good will of the individual hosts. So when contacting the host, we just tried to ask them for discount for the kids. No harm asking! :p

4. Sara @ Simply Sara Travel
    February 24, 2016 at 6:42 am (8 months ago)

The first apartment rental I ever did was through HomeAway, but after a while I switched over to Airbnb. One big thing was that it was much easier on Airbnb since everything was prepaid on a credit card ahead of time, rather than having to bring a check or cash at the time of rental. Has that changed? #TravelTuesday

February 24, 2016 at 9:45 am (8 months ago)

I prepaid with my credit card on the Homeaway website for my stays. So I guess they have changed that. :)

5. Anna | slightly astray
    February 24, 2016 at 8:12 pm (8 months ago)

I looked into both HomeAway and AirBnB when I first started going with rentals. And for some reason, I felt like that the airbnb site is easier to use and has a lot more options… and that maybe the prices are even cheaper?! I really love the looks of the rentals you found on homeaway though! Definitely unique. :)

February 24, 2016 at 8:57 pm (8 months ago)

I didn’t compare prices closely but when I tried using AirBnb website, I found the two websites very similar. It is true that AirBnb has a lot more listings, especially in less popular cities. E.g. For Tokyo and Kyoto, there had a many listings but for Hokkaido, they didn’t have many. Some of the apartments are listed on both AirBnb and HomeAway, so it would be a good idea to compare and see which is cheaper. I think having competition is never a bad thing for us consumers! 😀

6. Grey World Nomads
    February 25, 2016 at 6:50 am (8 months ago)

Our favorite is the tree house in Thailand. We didn’t know about HomeAway yet. Will check it out.

7. Mums Space
    February 26, 2016 at 6:34 pm (8 months ago)

Thats so good that some can do discounts or even free for children! Definitely worth it #MyFavouriteTrip

8. Kassie O'Driscoll
    March 2, 2016 at 11:09 pm (8 months ago)

These places look incredible! I’m a true “AirBnB fan,” but it looks like I need to venture out. :) Thanks for linking up to Wanderlust Wednesday!

March 3, 2016 at 8:14 am (8 months ago)

I have a soft spot for underdogs and it seems AirBnb is really dominating the market. But a monopoly is not exactly a good thing for consumers so I am more than happy to try alternatives!

9. Our Seaside Baby
    March 3, 2016 at 2:02 am (8 months ago)

These apartments look amazing, would love to stay in one with a swimming pool! Thanks very much for linking up #MyFavouriteTrip Polly :)