Scoot Airlines flies Singapore to Hokkaido – Is it a good deal?

Scoot Airlines - Flying Singapore to Sapporo - Is it a Good Deal - Bumble Bee Mum

Scoot Airlines just launched their Singapore to Hokkaido (Sapporo, Chitose) flights with a transit at Taipei, much to the excitement of many Singaporeans! Okay, maybe it’s just me.  Everyone who reads my blog knows how much I LOVE Hokkaido.

Just like when Hokkaido Shinkansen was launched, I have people asking me whether or not flying Scoot Airlines from Singapore to Hokakido is a good idea.  So before more people start asking me, I shall present my long-winded answer.

Flying a Low Cost Carrier

First of all, please remember that Scoot is a low cost carrier (a.k.a. budget airlines). Taking a low cost carrier means no in-flight entertainment, no meals and no baggage unless you pay for them.  You do NOT get people serving you drinks along the flight.  If you want water, you need to pay.  That sort of thing. If you don’t like the idea of taking budget airlines, period, then don’t bother.

I have taken Scoot twice: Once to Gold Coast, once to Taipei.  I have also taken other low cost carriers such as Jetstar, Air Asia and Peach Airlines.  To date, Scoot is still my favourite low cost carrier.  It does not pale in comparison to some full cost carriers in terms of comfort.  I even got bumped up to the STRETCH seats for free once! So I am definitely open to trying out Scoot flight from Singapore to Sapporo (CTS) – provided it is really cheaper than full cost carriers.

Since in-flight entertainment can be easily replaced by a BYO iPad, when I do my price comparison at the end of this post, I will include meals and baggage.

Transit Timing

Currently, there is no direct commercial flights from SIN to CTS.  Actually a reader once told me that Singapore Airlines has direct flights from time to time, but Singapore Airlines is usually out of my budget.  For the (usually) more affordable options like Thai Airways, Cathay Pacific, ANA, Japan Airlines etc. that I compare, they all require a transit.

Scoot’s SIN to CTS flight transits in Taipei – which is GOOD.  Because if you look at the map, it is not much of a detour.

I checked the transit timing – it is only 1 hour 20 min going there, 1 hour when coming back.  AWESOME! That’s about as good as a transit can get.

As with all low cost carriers, the price can fluctuate A LOT depending on season and whether or not there is a promotion.  But in general, if you ask me what is considered cheap for a SIN to CTS flight, I would say anything below SGD700 per pax is cheap.  SGD700-800 is about what I would usually pay.  Anything more than SGD800 is out of my budget.

Currently, Scoot is advertising a promotion for SGD188 per way.  I tried searching for Singapore to Sapporo flights for many different dates, and the cheapest I found was the one below, so I’m going to try working with this.

SGD405.51 is SUPER cheap for a Singapore to Sapporo flight if you ask me! But remember: No baggage, no meals, no in-flight entertainment. The FlyBagEat option cost SGD72 per passenger per way.

Now, let’s try what happens if I add in baggage and meals.

SGD549.51 is still very cheap.  If you’re prepared to pack your own in-flight entertainment (i.e. an iPad loaded with games and movies or, well, the whole series of Descendants of the Sun would work for me.)

There are other options like travel insurance and seat selection – which I usually opt out of. Oh look, there is even an option for WIFI!  This is a great alternative for in-flight entertainment if you ask me.  Just bring an iPad and stream YouTube videos or *ahem* Korean drama.  But I’m gonna opt out to see what the total comes up to.

And.. that’s it! I have arrived at the payment page with a total of SGD549.51.

Hmm, the last time I booked a Scoot flight, I remembered there was some processing fee at the very end.  Or did I remember wrongly? Never mind, I am not going to key in my credit card details just to check for the processing fee.  I didn’t remember it being very significant.. Like $10 or something?

In Summary…

SGD549.51 for a Singapore to Chitose return flight.

With 20kg baggage and meals.

With only 1 hour plus in transit and minimal detour.

I say book me on the flight!

Promotion Ended?

The price above was a promotional price at time of writing.  Suppose you are reading this AFTER the promotion has ended.  In general, I would say if I can get a price below SGD600 inclusive of meals and baggage, I would go for it.  But anything above SGD600, I would see how much difference it is from full cost carriers.

The best price I have gotten from full cost carriers from SIN to CTS iirc was SGD600+ on Thai Airways.  If let’s say Thai Airways cost SGD200 more for my entire family compared to Scoot, I would opt for Thai Airways.  Just so that I don’t need to worry about in-flight entertainment and I can keep asking for drinks throughout the long flight.

Disclaimer: I have never taken the flight from Singapore to Chitose via Scoot Airlines personally.  I have no idea if the transit is hassle-free, if the flight will be delayed, if the food is delicious or whether the cabin crew is pretty or handsome.  This analysis is simply based on price and my past experience on other Scoot flights.

To search / book your flight, visit

Scoot Airlines Official Websites: Homepage | Facebook PageTwitter

Read more Hokkaido Travel Guides

27 Comments on Scoot Airlines flies Singapore to Hokkaido – Is it a good deal?

1. KC
    April 23, 2016 at 6:22 pm (6 months ago)

Hello bumblebeemum. Thanks for the informative blog. Just to share that I had just booked Scoot for SIN-CTS at 1777.34 for 3 people. So it works out to be about 590pp. I included one way luggage and meal and for return on night flight, luggage only. I thought it was not super cheap but OK. If you use credit card the processing fee is 60 which I think not worth it. I ended up paying cash at SingPost.

I have a question. I read your post which says that Nov is not a good time to go Hokkaido because it’s a time for changing season. I booked mid-Nov before I read your post. Do you happen to have a post that talks about visiting Hokkaido in Nov?
    It is basically a family trip for sightseeing and ski, if any ski resort open during that time. No one plays that sport but just want to be there to get the touch and feel. A kid of 8 years old and my hubby. My sister and mum of 67 will tag along. All be there for the first time. My mum probably needs a wheelchair if it’s a long journey. Self-drive is my plan.
    All of us don’t like crowded place and we don’t mind off touristy route. Would you please recommend a route for 9 days and roughly the costs involved?

April 24, 2016 at 9:51 am (6 months ago)

Oh.. the processing fee was $60?? Gosh, my memory is crap. I remembered some processing fee but I thought it was nominal. Yes, $60 is quite significant. At least there was an option to pay cash at SingPost.

Mid Nov is a bit too early for skiing. I think you can try the ones around Niseko, they MAY be open by the time you are there. If I go in mid-Nov, I will spend my time hitting the onsen resorts because the weather will be cold and Hokkaido has the best onsen.

You have 4 adults + 1 child? You should be able to squeeze into a 7-seater. I would estimate car rental for a 7-seater at about 10,000yen per day. For accommodation, at onsen ryokans, you can also estimate 10,000yen per person per night for a stay with half-board. At cities, you will need 2 rooms which I will estimate with 10,000yen per room per night. Add these up and see how much it totals to. Chances are you may be able to get it done cheaper because it is low season.

I would do the classic CTS – Noboribetsu – Hakodate – Lake Toya – Niseko – Otaru – Sapporo – CTS route for your date.

• KC
        April 24, 2016 at 7:15 pm (6 months ago)

Thanks so much. That’s very helpful.

2. See Peng
    May 6, 2016 at 2:11 pm (6 months ago)

Hi Bumblebeemum, we managed to book scoot from 13-20 Dec 2A n 2C(8&10). I am a bit worry about the transit from taipei! need to collect luggage at departure hall and then hurry to take the transit flight…u think we got enough time?

Btw, this trip we like to have ski lesson for kids..u able to advise how should we plan our tirp

May 9, 2016 at 1:23 am (6 months ago)

I haven’t done the transit before, but I’m quite sure you won’t be the only person on the flight making that transit? If they can sell the ticket, they should have a way of ensuring passengers are able to make the transit in time. Check the transit procedure with the flight attendant on the SIN to TPE flight so that you don’t go around Taipei airport cluelessly.

My boy attended the ski lesson at Niseko Village. The concierge at Hilton Niseko was fab and everyone there spoke English, so it was pretty easy to arrange the lesson on the spot. Basically in Niseko, everyone speaks English so if you need any help, just ask.

• Kai Hiong
      June 13, 2016 at 4:13 pm (5 months ago)

Hi See Peng,

For Scoot flight transiting in Taipei, you do not need to collect your luggage. Your luggage will be tagged to Hokkaido, so just ensure that when you are checking in.

Over at Taipei airport, you’ll disembark the plane with your hand carry luggages, go through security, and back to the departure hall. You do not need to go through immigration.

Do bring some Taiwan dollar and coins (great for vending machines) to purchase some snacks while at Taoyuan airport.

Hope that helps! Enjoy your trip to Hokkaido!

June 27, 2016 at 2:16 pm (4 months ago)

Wow, thanks for sharing. Sounds super convenient to have the checked in luggage tagged all the way to Hokkaido!

• Kai Hiong
      June 13, 2016 at 4:15 pm (5 months ago)

Oh yes, and one more thing,

The plane that you’ll be taking to Hokkaido is the same as the one you take to Taipei. Same crew, same staff, so no worries about the plane flying off without you.

June 27, 2016 at 2:17 pm (4 months ago)

Haha.. Plane flying off without you. Actually happened to us on our recent trip with Thai Airways. *horrors* But that’s a story for another time.

3. Emily
    June 27, 2016 at 12:21 pm (4 months ago)

Hi, I have a very question on kids clothing. I guess you can help me as you travelled to Hokkaido many times. I am not sure if we can be ‘stingy’ on kids winter clothing to buy online( from china), I am not sure if the winter coat ‘quality’ can keep them warm. The price in SG is seriously high! We will travel beginning of Dec till middle of the month. Last stop will be in Nagano/ takayama. May be you can share with me what you did. Thank you.

June 27, 2016 at 9:06 pm (4 months ago)

Some of my readers have bought winter clothing from Qoo10. I find that the key is to layer. Don’t be afraid to wear more layers if necessary. But ideally, for kids, if you have friends who have kids the same age and travelled to winter countries before, try to borrow.

4. Lim
    July 24, 2016 at 3:01 pm (3 months ago)

I have seen Hot air balloon available at Hokkaido during winter season but I can’t find any related information thru your website, do you have more info about this?

July 26, 2016 at 11:00 am (3 months ago)

I google around and found this one at Furano:

I have also seen hot air balloons at Tomamu and Shikaribetsu during their winter festivals. You probably have to contact the resorts there to find out more information about their hot air ballooning.

5. Finn
    September 20, 2016 at 10:47 am (1 month ago)

Hello Bumblebeemum! New to your blog post, but loving the information that is given, especially from a fellow SGrean, make things easier for me to understand.

Nonetheless, family and I will be heading over to Hokkaido, CTS, with Scoot at 10 November 2016, and will be leaving the place at 22 November 2016.

Was thinking if the route you mention at the above comment be the ideal route to explore?

” CTS – Noboribetsu – Hakodate – Lake Toya – Niseko – Otaru – Sapporo – CTS”

And also, by any chance we are able to see snow at the later part of our stay there?

Cheers !

• Finn
      September 20, 2016 at 11:19 am (1 month ago)

Also, is renting of a car needed? We are going there with a family of 6. or there is public transportation for us to hop on, only if it’s more convenient.

September 21, 2016 at 10:54 am (1 month ago)

Driving is really the most convenient way of getting around Hokkaido. Public transport in Hokkaido is really not great. But for your travel size, you need to be able to limit your luggage to 4 suitcases if you want to be able to fit into an 8-seater.

September 21, 2016 at 10:50 am (1 month ago)

Pretty sure you will see snow at Niseko.

The route looks right for your dates. :)

• Finn
        September 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm (1 month ago)

Thank you for your speedy reply Bubblebeemum!

Just a few more questions.
        1. Any recommendation for a place to rent a car 🚗 that is affordable?
        2. We are looking to experience once a Onsen Hotel, any recommendation which they have outdoor experience?
        3. Where do you recommend to stay and places to eat that’s is affordable. Also, would you recommend your readers to book AIRBNB houses? :)

Thank you so very much in advance.

Cheers 🍻

September 21, 2016 at 5:31 pm (1 month ago)

1. You can try searching for car rental using the comparison website, Tabirai:

2. At Noboribetsu, I like Hotel Mahoroba. And at Lake Toya, I like Toya Sunpalace. But if I can afford it, I would love to stay in Lake View Nonokaze at Lake Toya.

3. For 6 pax, yes, AirBnb would be a viable option in the cities with more Bnb options. At Noboribestu and Lake Toya, I would stick to the onsen ryokans.

For places to eat, you can check out my food posts:

• Finn
            September 24, 2016 at 8:43 am (1 month ago)

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I’ll stick with the route that you recommended,
            ” CTS – Noboribetsu – Hakodate – Lake Toya – Niseko – Otaru – Sapporo – CTS”

We’ll be arriving to CTS Airport at estimated time of 1500HRS.

1. May i know where will the collection of the car be?
            2. If we travel to our first destination (Noboribetsu) I believe its advisable to be staying there for a night, by the time we reach i think is quite late already. any hotel for recommendation? :)
            3. And which location mentioned above should we stay more than a day? (TOTAL 14 Days) and which place we shouldn’t be staying for the night?

Thank you for your knowledge in this, much appreciated

September 28, 2016 at 1:20 pm (4 weeks ago)

Most car rental companies have a desk at the airport. You approach their desk and they will arrange for a shuttle bus to bring you to the car rental office which is a short drive from the airport. If your car rental company does not have a desk at the airport, you will need to call them yourself to request for the shuttle when you arrive.

You will be driving in the dark if you arrive at 1500, something I don’t really recommend in winter. So perhaps you should reverse your itinerary. Do you have 13 or 14 days? 10 to 22 Nov is 13 days..?

Anyway you can do something like this if you have 13 days:

Day 9: Lake Toya – Hakodate
              Day 10: Hakodate
              Day 11: Hakodate – Noboribetsu
              Day 12: Noboribetsu – CTS
              Day 13: Flight back

6. ling
    September 27, 2016 at 11:18 am (4 weeks ago)

Hi Bumblebeemum, thanks for your sharing. May I know why do you not purchase the travel insurance from Scoot ?

September 28, 2016 at 2:37 pm (4 weeks ago)

My good friend handles all my travel insurances for me, it’s just easier for me to get from him so that in the event I need to make any claims, he can take care of the paperwork for me as well.

7. Verene
    October 5, 2016 at 6:40 pm (3 weeks ago)

Hi BumblebeeMum,

I’ve also booked Scoot tix to Sapporo and transit at Taipei in the coming end Oct. I’d like to ask if we need to check out the luggage at Taipei and re-check in again? We are thinking of bringing some fresh local product back to SG, like their famous potatoes, do you have any idea if the Taipei customs restriction on this?

thanks alot.

October 7, 2016 at 11:54 am (3 weeks ago)

I’ve never taken their flight to CTS myself, but from what I hear, I don’t think you need to re check-in. You just get off the plane with your hand carry, walk around the airport transit area a bit and get back on the plane.

If you put your fresh produce in your check-in luggage, Taipei customs will have nothing to do with it. It just gets checked-in from CTS all the way back to SG.

8. Catherine
    October 14, 2016 at 9:19 am (2 weeks ago)

Scoot flight is not bad but they require the check in to be done at least one hour before your departure time. They won’t accept any excuse.

I was browsing and read this website. I just booked Thai airways to sapporo at good deal for 1 Adult and 1 child priced 796 sgd. The transit time for both ways is about one hour at bangkok.

October 14, 2016 at 9:57 am (2 weeks ago)

Yeah, the current Thai Airways promo is mad awesome! It took me by surprise frankly, I would never expect SIN-CTS airfares on full cost carrier to drop to SGD300+ per pax! But I’m not complaining. :p If Thai Airways keeps having promo at around SGD400 per pax, I don’t see any reason to take Scoot. Coz how low can Scoot possibly go? Even if they drop to SGD300 per pax, I would still pay a bit more for Thai at its current promo price for meals and in-flight entertainment. I shall keep monitoring to see if this Thai Airways promo is a once-off thing or we would keep seeing it. So many years of looking at SIN-CTS airfares, this is the first time I saw their fare dip before SGD600 per pax.