Home >> Japan Attractions,Japan Travel >> Hakone Scenic Drive along Ashinoko Skyline

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji & Lake Ashinoko View - Bumble Bee Mum

I often mention in my Japan travel blog that once you get out of the major cities in Japan, self-driving is really the best way to explore what Japan has to offer. One of my favourite regions to drive in Japan is around Hakone and Mount Fuji.  If you have a rental car in Hakone, I recommend you take a drive up Ashinoko Skyline in the evening if the sky is clear.

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 01

Ashinoko Skyline is a privately owned toll road running parallel to Lake Ashinoko, hence its name.  It is not very long, just about 10km long and had a toll fee of 620yen to access.

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 09

Panorama Viewpoint

Along Ashinoko Skyline, you will find a resthouse with a large parking lot.  From there, it is about 3 minutes walk to the ‘Panorama Viewpoint’.

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 02

Just follow the boardwalk to the top.

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 04

And you can enjoy a panoramic view of Lake Ashinoko!

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 03

And of course, you will also be able to see Mount Fuji on a clear day.

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 05

Shakushitouge

Shortly after passing the resthouse, there was an observation deck called Shakushitouge (杓子峠) with an amazing view of Mount Fuji.  Shakushitouge marks the halfway point of Ashinoko Skyline and is at an elevation of 1030m.

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 06Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 08

Mikuni Pass

There was another observation deck called Mikuni Pass but it was too dark by the time we reached there to get a good view.  But you can check it out the view on Google Map Street View >HERE<.

In Summary…

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 07

We enjoyed the drive along Ashinoko Skyline despite the toll fee of 620yen.  Hakone is an extremely popular tourist destination, but Ashinoko Skyline was very quiet and relatively undiscovered.  If you have a rental car and would like to escape the tourist crowd when in Hakone, drive up to Ashinoko Skyline on a clear day and you will be well-rewarded!

Information

Map: Click here for Google Map location

Map code (what is this?): 50 478 674

Fee: 620yen – 2260yen per car, depending on size (click here for details)

Official Websites: Homepage

Read more posts from the same trip!

Loading InLinkz ...

VISIT OUR JAPAN TRAVEL BLOG

Get more Japan travel guides & sample itineraries on our Japan travel blog!

Travel Tuesday Link-Up!

Welcome to ‘Travel Tuesday‘! Every TUESDAY, I will share a travel post, and at the end of the post, you will find this linky with posts from other bloggers. If you have a travel moment or travel tip to share, simple click ‘Add your Link’ to share your blog post! Do visit some of the other blogs to leave a comment and say Hi. 🙂

Loading InLinkz ...

A new linky will be up every Tuesday at 00.05 (Singapore Time GMT+8). So check back again next Tuesday for new sharings and to share more posts!

This post is also part of the following link-ups:

1. Emma Raphael says:

That area really is so beautiful. We didn’t book a car though, although I would be tempted to again for future visits. Our children thought the shinkansen were amazing though! 🙂 #mondayescapes

You really should try driving the next time you are in the region! It is easy to combine the experience of driving and shinkansen by taking the shinkansen till the nearest station (Odawara) and renting a car from there.

2. Lydia C. Lee says:

What a lovely road trip! So different to here…
    Lydia C. Lee recently posted…First of the Month Fiction – JuneMy Profile

It is quite different driving in Japan and Australia. But most Singaporeans prefer to drive in Australia – probably because there is no language barrier. I enjoy driving in Australia too!

3. kirstie says:

Great tips. We did Fuji and and a big chunk of Japan self drive a couple of years ago. Wish I’d seen this.

4. Emma says:

wow! my hubby and I travelled around japan before we had our son. would love to take him back. your Thomas post caught my eye ! #citytripping

5. I would definitely love this. Amazing views, away from the crowds, chance for a small walk, yes please! I wouldn’t mind paying a bit for that at all! Those views are stunning.

We used to have that exact same car. I miss it! 🙁
    Rachel ¦¦ A Nesting Nomad recently posted…My 30th birthday in SantoriniMy Profile

6. What gorgeous views to Mount Fuji – my trip to Japan was only a quick visit to Tokyo and Kyoto as that’s all we could really fit in to the week, but I’d love to explore more. Thanks for linking up with #citytripping
    Cathy (MummyTravels) recently posted…City Tripping #28My Profile

Japan is so huge! Whenever we are there, we make it a point to try to spend at least 2 weeks. Take our time to drive around to explore the lesser known routes to see what we can find that are not mentioned in travel guides. 🙂

7. Wonderful views!! I can’t believe I didn’t manage to go to Mt Fuji when we were in Japan, but I’m already making plans to go back and see more 🙂 #CityTripping

You definitely should go back! I didn’t go to Mount Fuji on my first visit to Japan either. I only went there on my.. 4th visit? Not sure what took me so long!

8. Diana L. says:

wow, I think that toll road is completely worth it, awesome view!! 🙂
    Diana L. recently posted…Austria and Prague for Three, PleaseMy Profile

9. Irene says:

Hi, really beautiful. I’m planning a trip with my family to Japan this coming December. Read your postings on Mt Fuji and Hakone and I’m wondering how’s the road condition in late December about 19 to 24 Dec. Will the roads be covered with snow ?

10. What a stunning sunsets! It looks awesome!
    Grey World Nomads recently posted…House Sit In Southampton Country HomeMy Profile

11. Susan Liau says:

Hi, I just found your blog. I did a self drive from Matsumoto to Hamamatsu with a stop at Kawaguchiko a few years. It was wonderful.

My brother & I have a last minute trip to Tokyo on 15-22 June. I will be arriving Haneda late on the 15th, then I need to deliver some things in Kawasaki (on 16th morning). After that, we are free to travel until 22 June when our we have a night flight home.

This would be my brother’s first trip to Japan. I’m not sure how to plan the trip with so few days & so much to see. 🙂

My initial plan is to rent a car from Kawasaki (make the delivery), then drive out to Yokohama, Kamakura, Hakone, Fuji 5 Lakes & back with the last 2 days in Tokyo. It seems like a lot of rushing around. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help.

It does seem a bit rushed. If I were to drive, I would focus on visiting the scenic areas (Kamakura, Hakone, Fuji 5 lakes). So I would actually just skip the last 2 days in Tokyo altogether.

12. Amazing! What a road trip.
    I would love to do it someday. The view of the Mount Fuji is stunning!
    Lovely photos 😀

Packing my Suitcase recently posted…Packing to Munich in every month of the yearMy Profile

13. Winnie says:

What a breathtaking scenery at Ashinoko Skyline!
    I am self driving in this early December for the first time.
    Not sure about whether the road condition going up there?
    Will the road covered with snow?

It is pretty unlikely that it would be snowing in the region in early December, so it should be pretty easy to go up there. Just that if you stay for the sunset, by the time you make it down to the bottom of the skyline, it may be pitch dark. Just switch on your high beam if there is no car in the oncoming direction and drive slowly when it’s dark.

14. Irene says:

Hi,
    My family is planning to self drive in Hakone in Dec. I’m planning the route to drive to Ashinoko skyline using google map. Is this skyline a 2 way route ? Can I start driving down from the top of Lake Ashi, ie near the Hakone ropeway instead of up from the bottom of Lake Ashi.

15. Jackie says:

Hi,

Really enjoy reading your blog.

We are planning to visit Tokyo in June with trips to Hakone and Nikko for 8 days. Our kids are teenagers and I was thinking perhaps we will enjoy a driving tour starting from Haneda airport and drive around and return back to Tokyo for the last 2-3 days.
    Any suggestion of car hire (best price etc) and itinerary?

Thanks,