{Travel Tuesday #43} Hakone Scenic Drive along Ashinoko Skyline

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji & Lake Ashinoko View - Bumble Bee Mum

I often mention in my Japan travel blog that once you get out of the major cities in Japan, self-driving is really the best way to explore what Japan has to offer. One of my favourite regions to drive in Japan is around Hakone and Mount Fuji.  If you have a rental car in Hakone, I recommend you take a drive up Ashinoko Skyline in the evening if the sky is clear.

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 01

Ashinoko Skyline is a privately owned toll road running parallel to Lake Ashinoko, hence its name.  It is not very long, just about 10km long and had a toll fee of 620yen to access.

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 09

Panorama Viewpoint

Along Ashinoko Skyline, you will find a resthouse with a large parking lot.  From there, it is about 3 minutes walk to the ‘Panorama Viewpoint’.

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 02

Just follow the boardwalk to the top.

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 04

And you can enjoy a panoramic view of Lake Ashinoko!

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 03

And of course, you will also be able to see Mount Fuji on a clear day.

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 05

Shortly after passing the resthouse, there was an observation deck called Shakushitouge (杓子峠) with an amazing view of Mount Fuji.  Shakushitouge marks the halfway point of Ashinoko Skyline and is at an elevation of 1030m.

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 06Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 08

Mikuni Pass

There was another observation deck called Mikuni Pass but it was too dark by the time we reached there to get a good view.  But you can check it out the view on Google Map Street View >HERE<.

In Summary…

Ashinoko Skyline - Scenic Road with Mount Fuji View 07

We enjoyed the drive along Ashinoko Skyline despite the toll fee of 620yen.  Hakone is an extremely popular tourist destination, but Ashinoko Skyline was very quiet and relatively undiscovered.  If you have a rental car and would like to escape the tourist crowd when in Hakone, drive up to Ashinoko Skyline on a clear day and you will be well-rewarded!

Map: Click here for Google Map location

Map code (what is this?): 50 478 674

Fee: 620yen – 2260yen per car, depending on size (click here for details)

Official Websites: Homepage

Read more posts from the same trip!

Get more Japan travel guides & sample itineraries on our Japan travel blog!

Travel Tuesday Link-Up!

Welcome to ‘Travel Tuesday‘! Every TUESDAY, I will share a travel post, and at the end of the post, you will find this linky with posts from other bloggers. If you have a travel moment or travel tip to share, simple click ‘Add your Link’ to share your blog post! Do visit some of the other blogs to leave a comment and say Hi. :)

A new linky will be up every Tuesday at 00.05 (Singapore Time GMT+8). So check back again next Tuesday for new sharings and to share more posts!

This post is also part of the following link-ups:

27 Comments on {Travel Tuesday #43} Hakone Scenic Drive along Ashinoko Skyline

1. Emma Raphael
    May 24, 2016 at 2:20 am (5 months ago)

That area really is so beautiful. We didn’t book a car though, although I would be tempted to again for future visits. Our children thought the shinkansen were amazing though! :) #mondayescapes

May 24, 2016 at 2:30 am (5 months ago)

You really should try driving the next time you are in the region! It is easy to combine the experience of driving and shinkansen by taking the shinkansen till the nearest station (Odawara) and renting a car from there.

May 24, 2016 at 11:39 am (5 months ago)

It is quite different driving in Japan and Australia. But most Singaporeans prefer to drive in Australia – probably because there is no language barrier. I enjoy driving in Australia too!

2. kirstie
    May 24, 2016 at 4:47 pm (5 months ago)

Great tips. We did Fuji and and a big chunk of Japan self drive a couple of years ago. Wish I’d seen this.

May 26, 2016 at 9:49 am (5 months ago)

I only found out about this on my third drive to the Fuji area. Guess it is not very well known among tourists!

3. Emma
    May 25, 2016 at 3:34 am (5 months ago)

wow! my hubby and I travelled around japan before we had our son. would love to take him back. your Thomas post caught my eye ! #citytripping

May 26, 2016 at 10:03 am (5 months ago)

You should go to Thomas Land while your son is still young! After a while, they will outgrow Thomas.

4. Rachel ¦¦ A Nesting Nomad
    May 25, 2016 at 9:05 pm (5 months ago)

I would definitely love this. Amazing views, away from the crowds, chance for a small walk, yes please! I wouldn’t mind paying a bit for that at all! Those views are stunning.

We used to have that exact same car. I miss it! :(
    Rachel ¦¦ A Nesting Nomad recently posted…My 30th birthday in SantoriniMy Profile

May 26, 2016 at 10:19 am (5 months ago)

The walk was really small. 3 min, the sign said. Haha…

5. Cathy (MummyTravels)
    May 25, 2016 at 10:31 pm (5 months ago)

What gorgeous views to Mount Fuji – my trip to Japan was only a quick visit to Tokyo and Kyoto as that’s all we could really fit in to the week, but I’d love to explore more. Thanks for linking up with #citytripping
    Cathy (MummyTravels) recently posted…City Tripping #28My Profile

May 26, 2016 at 10:21 am (5 months ago)

Japan is so huge! Whenever we are there, we make it a point to try to spend at least 2 weeks. Take our time to drive around to explore the lesser known routes to see what we can find that are not mentioned in travel guides. :)

6. Maria Belfort (@onetinyleap)
    May 26, 2016 at 4:55 pm (5 months ago)

Wonderful views!! I can’t believe I didn’t manage to go to Mt Fuji when we were in Japan, but I’m already making plans to go back and see more :) #CityTripping

May 31, 2016 at 12:13 am (5 months ago)

You definitely should go back! I didn’t go to Mount Fuji on my first visit to Japan either. I only went there on my.. 4th visit? Not sure what took me so long!

May 31, 2016 at 12:23 am (5 months ago)

We got lucky with the view – though I wished that piece of cloud would go away.

7. Irene
    May 30, 2016 at 2:09 pm (5 months ago)

Hi, really beautiful. I’m planning a trip with my family to Japan this coming December. Read your postings on Mt Fuji and Hakone and I’m wondering how’s the road condition in late December about 19 to 24 Dec. Will the roads be covered with snow ?

May 31, 2016 at 1:54 am (5 months ago)

I have never driven in late December. But in general, I don’t think it snows super a lot in the region though I wouldn’t say it is impossible. You can book a car with snow tyres just in case, and if you do encounter snow, just drive slow (below 50km/h). You can read more about winter driving from my Hokkaido post (scroll down to the section on ‘Is it safe to drive in winter’ onwards)… Just in case.

May 31, 2016 at 4:44 pm (5 months ago)

It was! Somehow I only appreciate sunsets when I am overseas.

8. Susan Liau
    June 3, 2016 at 4:33 pm (5 months ago)

Hi, I just found your blog. I did a self drive from Matsumoto to Hamamatsu with a stop at Kawaguchiko a few years. It was wonderful.

My brother & I have a last minute trip to Tokyo on 15-22 June. I will be arriving Haneda late on the 15th, then I need to deliver some things in Kawasaki (on 16th morning). After that, we are free to travel until 22 June when our we have a night flight home.

This would be my brother’s first trip to Japan. I’m not sure how to plan the trip with so few days & so much to see. :)

My initial plan is to rent a car from Kawasaki (make the delivery), then drive out to Yokohama, Kamakura, Hakone, Fuji 5 Lakes & back with the last 2 days in Tokyo. It seems like a lot of rushing around. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help.

June 3, 2016 at 4:42 pm (5 months ago)

It does seem a bit rushed. If I were to drive, I would focus on visiting the scenic areas (Kamakura, Hakone, Fuji 5 lakes). So I would actually just skip the last 2 days in Tokyo altogether.

9. Winnie
    October 11, 2016 at 6:43 pm (2 weeks ago)

What a breathtaking scenery at Ashinoko Skyline!
    I am self driving in this early December for the first time.
    Not sure about whether the road condition going up there?
    Will the road covered with snow?

October 13, 2016 at 1:27 am (2 weeks ago)

It is pretty unlikely that it would be snowing in the region in early December, so it should be pretty easy to go up there. Just that if you stay for the sunset, by the time you make it down to the bottom of the skyline, it may be pitch dark. Just switch on your high beam if there is no car in the oncoming direction and drive slowly when it’s dark.

10. Irene
    October 17, 2016 at 1:49 pm (1 week ago)

My family is planning to self drive in Hakone in Dec. I’m planning the route to drive to Ashinoko skyline using google map. Is this skyline a 2 way route ? Can I start driving down from the top of Lake Ashi, ie near the Hakone ropeway instead of up from the bottom of Lake Ashi.

October 23, 2016 at 7:36 pm (3 days ago)

Yup, the skyline is a two-way route.