A few months back, a bunch of us mom bloggers had a CRAAAZZZYYYY idea. We decided to have a play date at Singapore Zoo!
Just us and our kids.
Without the husbands.
Early in the morning.
For buffet breakfast.
Like are we crazy or what?? We could have just brought our kids to the coffeeshop downstairs for breakfast and we would still be having breakfast with monkeys.
According to Singapore Zoo’s website, this is the ONLY place in the world where you can have breakfast with a family of Orangutans!
Jungle Breakfast with Wildlife takes place at Ah Meng Restaurant within Singapore Zoo from 9am to 10.30am everyday. However, the orangutans only appear from 9.30am to 10am. So it is recommended that you enter the zoo at 8.30am and start walking to the restaurant, reaching the restaurant punctually at 9am. This will allow you some time to enjoy the buffet spread and fill your tummies (at least partially) before the orangutans appear.
Anyway that was the plan we had. We arrived punctually at Guest Relations at 8.30am, but they had difficulty locating our media passes. We eventually only received our passes at like 9+. And you know how difficult it was to get a huge bunch of kids to walk quickly through a zoo without stopping? They were like stopping here and there to check out the animals en-route from the entrance to Ah Meng Restaurant. And I, like a tour guide, kept checking my phone to see how much time to 9.30am we had left and kept waving to the kids like, “Children! Move along! Hurry up! We’re going to miss the orangutans. MOVE!!! STOP LOOKING AT THE OTTERS! WE CAN COME BACK AGAIN LATER!!”
We arrived shortly after 9.30am, and the orangutans had already made their way to the designated photo-taking area. We quickly joined the queue to take photos with them. We took photos of individual families.
Followed by a group photo!
After the photo-taking, it was back to our table to dine. With the orangutans playing by our side! I’m referring to those at the branches, not those seated at the table.
And at 10am, the orangutans left the restaurant and went back to where they usually hung out (LITERALLY) at the zoo.
Food-wise, the spread was pretty international, catering to the mix of tourists visiting Singapore Zoo. There was a good variety of local dishes like roti prata and continental dishes like eggs, hashbrown and sausages.
I didn’t expect the food to WOW me taste-wise. It didn’t. I can get better roti prata and fried bee hoon at the coffeeshop downstairs. But that didn’t matter. We were here for the experience of dining with orangutans. The kids had a lot of run sitting together at their end of the table near the orangutans while their moms stuffed an endless supply of food in front of them.
But just like visiting Pokemon Cafe, it was something I would only do ONCE in my lifetime. While the kids are still young. I don’t regret doing it, but nope, I’m not doing this again.
Tips for visiting Jungle Breakfast with Wildlife
- Arrive at the zoo early as you need to walk to Ah Meng Restaurant. The zoo opens at 8.30am and I recommend you enter the zoo at that time if you are planning to catch the Jungle Breakfast with Wildlife.
- Make reservations in advance via the online booking site if you know exactly which day you are visiting.
- Request for a table near the animals when making a reservation. We did not get the table next to the orangutans by chance. We wrote under ‘remarks’ that we would like a table near the orangutans.
Pricing for Jungle Breakfast with Wildlife:
- $35 per adult
- $25 per child aged 6 to 12 years old
- Children under 6 years old dine free based on ratio of 1 Adult : 1 Child
The above price EXCLUDES admission to Singapore Zoo. An admission ticket to Singapore Zoo is also required for Jungle Breakfast with Wildlife. Admission fee to Singapore Zoo is as follows:
- $33 per adult
- $22 per child (age 3 to 12)
- Children under 3 years old enter free
Information on Singapore Zoo:
Address: 80 Mandai Lake Road, Singapore 729826
- Bus 138 from Ang Mo Kio MRT (NS16)
- Bus 927 from Choa Chu Kang MRT (NS4)
- Bus 926 from Marsiling MRT (NS8) or Woodlands MRT (NS9) – on Sundays and Public Holidays only
Opening Hours: 8.30am to 6pm Daily
Note that Jungle Breakfast with Wildlife is from 9am to 10.30am daily, with orangutan appearance from 9.30am to 10am only.
Contact Number: (65) 6269 3411
Pin this up for later!
VISITING SINGAPORE WITH KIDS?
Check out our Singapore Travel Page for more Singapore travel guides & reviews!
Linking up With…
This post is part of the following link-ups:
- Monday Escapes by My Travel Monkey and Packing My Suitcase
- City Tripping by Mummy Travels and Wander Mum
- Wanderful Wednesday by Lauren on Location, Snow in Tromso, The Sunny Side of This and What a Wonderful World.