Home >> Japan Travel >> Top 10 Hokkaido Must-Visit Restaurants (2016 Picks)

Top-10-Hokkaido-Restaurants-Bumble-Bee-Mum

It’s been two years since I last wrote my Hokkaido Food Guide and I guess it’s time for an update!  After my fifth trip to Hokkaido this June, I have some new favourite restaurants that I want to recommend to all of you.  Since everyone loves Top 10s, here are my 10 favourite places to eat in Hokkaido based on the past 5 visits.

#1 Akkeshi Gourmet Town Conchiglie (Akkeshi)

Further east beyond the usual tourist track is a small town called Akkeshi which is also known as ‘Oyster Town’ for a good reason.  Head to Akkeshi Gourmet Town where you will find oysters cooked in all styles: Raw, steamed, fried, grilled, in soup etc etc.  If you can’t decide which style to order, go for the all-in-one oyster bento!

Must-Order: Oyster Bento Set

Map: Click here for Google Map location

Map Code: 637 191 592

Website: Homepage |  Tabelog

#2 Panchou (Obihiro)

As much as I love seafood, one of my favourite food in Hokkaido is actually buta don (pork rice bowl).  For the most authentic bowl of Hokkaido buta don, head to the city of Obihiro and look for the place where it all originated – Panchou.

Or you know what, just step into any buta don shop in Obihiro and you are in for a treat! Every shop has their own secret sauce recipe to go with those tender juicy perfectly grilled pork slices.

Must-Order:  The biggest bowl of buta don available

Map: Click here for Google Map location

Map Code: 124 624 026

Website: Tabelog | TripAdvisor

#3 Torimatsu (Kutchan)

For some Anthony Bourdain approved Yakitori, head to Torimatsu at Kutchan, the gateway to Niseko.  Although Yakitori technically means grilled chicken, I recommend going for the grilled pork here instead.   And for something special, order the whole grilled Hakkaku fish.

Must-Order:  Pork skewers, Grilled whole Hakkaku

Map: Click here for Google Map location

Map Code: 385 840 166

Website:  TripAdvisor

#4 Yuigadokuson (Furano)

Imagine a fluffy omelette filled with cheese and rice with a secret homemade curry sauce drizzled over it.   A simple dish like this gets everyone queuing up outside this wooden double-storey establishment – even celebrities have to wait in line.  And the best part: If you can’t get enough of that yummy curry sauce, just bring your plate down to them and they will be happy to pour you more!

Must-order: Omelette + Ox Tongue + Homemade Sausage Curry

Map: Click here for Google Map location

Map Code: 349 032 095

Website: Homepage | Tabelog | Trip Advisor

#5 Go Tsubo (Sapporo)

Blink and you’ll miss it.  The sign at the top of this little hole-in-wall joint says it all.  Grilled oysters for 105yen each.  That’s enough to get me visiting them at least once (usually more than once) each time I am in Sapporo.  If you’re early, you can not only get grilled oysters but also grilled hotate (scallop) and grilled hokki clams, but be warned that they sell out pretty fast.  And don’t forget to get a Japanese beer or sake to go along!

Must-Order: Grilled Oyster

Map: Click here for Google Map location

Map Code: 9 492 205

Website: Tablelog | TripAdvisor

#6 Minshuku Aotsuka Shokudou (Shukutsu, Otaru)

For some crazy fresh and reasonably-priced seafood, get out of Otaru town and head to this restaurant by the sea at Shukutsu Peninsular.  Watch as an assortment of seafood, freshly caught from the nearby sea by the very people running the restaurant, is grilled to perfection right in front of you.  Or choose to have them raw.  Either ways they are perfect.

Must-Order: Grilled Nishin and Nishin Sashimi

Map: Click here for Google Map location

Map Code: 493 842 096

Website: Homepage | TabelogTripAdvisor

#7 Sora (Lake Kussharo)

Atas dining need not be expensive.  At Sora, you can treat yourself to a 5-course set lunch for as low as 2000yen!  Or pamper yourself with an 8-course set lunch for 4500yen. My personal favourite was the 3000yen Nitay set lunch where the main was served on a metal grill.  Pour the sauce (which is served separately) in and watch, hear and smell it as it sizzles at the table!

Must-Order: Nitay Lunch Set

Map: Click here for Google Map location

Map Code: 731 546 439

Website: Homepage | Tabelog

#8 Kita No Gourmet (Sapporo)

You cannot leave Hokkaido without a visit to at least one of their famous seafood markets.  I love Kita No Gourmet at Sapporo partly because they provide free shuttle to and fro hotels in Central Sapporo – so convenient!  But omg, their overflowing Kaisen Don (seafood rice bowl).

Must-Order: Kaisen Don

Map: Click here for Google Map location

Map Code: 9 548 175

Website: Homepage | Tabelog

#9 Kumagera (Furano)

This famous restaurant in Furano has been featured on numerous variety shows around the world.  Photos of celebrities from all over the world don their wall near the entrance. While their signature dish here is the above traditional miso-based nabe with chicken, duck and venision, I personally come here for their beef sashimi rice.  Beef sashimi gives ‘I would like my beef rare’ a whole new meaning.  I dare you to try it!

Must-Order: Beef Sashimi Rice

Map: Click here for Google Map location

Map Code: 349 032 102

Website: Homepage | Tabelog | TripAdvisor

#10 Shokudou Misaki (Shakotan)

When it comes to freshly caught uni (sea urchin) in the fishing town of Shakotan, there is no need to go through a middle man.  The fishermen go out in their boats early in the morning and sell their daily catch of uni in their own restaurants along the coast the Shakotan Peninsular from June to August every year.  The result is extremely reasonably priced uni so fresh you can taste the sea!

But remember to go there early in the morning if you want to taste the prized rare Aka Uni (red sea urchin).

Must-Order: Anything with Aka Uni (Red Urchin)

Map: Click here for Google Map location

Map Code: 932 686 485

Websites: Homepage | Tabelog

Top-10-Hokkaido-Restaurants-Bumble-Bee-Mum

Hokkaido Travel Guides

Visiting Hokkaido? Check out more of our Hokkaido travel guides below!

Loading InLinkz ...

OUR JAPAN TRAVEL BLOG

Find more guides and itineraries for Japan travel on our Japan Travel Blog!

1. Kenny says:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! looking at the photos makes me want to go back there again, and is making me hungrryyyyyyyy……

thanks for sharing! 🙂

Tell me about it.. My stomach growls every time I edit Hokkaido food photos! >_<

• Yong says:

Kita No Gourmet (Sapporo)

In regards of free shuttle bus, wondering if they offer pick up at Mercure Sapporo ?

As for the free shuttle bus, any obligation to buy and dine at their place ?

Do we have to take their bus back ? or we can take that chance to visit around nearby places as well, then only use their bus back around evening?

Is Kita No Gourmet (Sapporo) more for tourist ?

Yup, they picked us up from Mercure. We got the concierge at Mercure to call them for us to arrange the timing for the shuttle bus to pick us up.

Technically, you are not obliged to buy anything or dine at Kita No Gourmet even if you use their shuttle bus. Just that everybody will go in for a walk since the bus drops you right off at Kita No Gourmet’s shop entrance and it seems a bit rude to just walk off to somewhere else immediately after alighting from their shuttle bus? My suggestion is, just go in to take a look. Of course if nothing in their shop interest you, they won’t force you to buy anything.

You don’t need to take their bus back. They will ask you when you board whether or not you want to take their bus back. And if you do, whether you want the bus to send you back to your hotel or send you to Sapporo station. The latest bus leaving Kita No Gourmet to go back to Sapporo city centre is at 2pm, there are no buses in the evening.

Yeah, Kita No Gourmet is rather touristy. But I still like it. The food there is so much cheaper than in Singapore and they have a good variety. And their servings haven’t shrunk all these years.

• Yong says:

thanks…

how about other like Kani Honte and Nanda Crab (buffet) ?
            I dun have much time so thinking to choose 1 only, i saw other ppls blog mentioned that you recommend before…

just wondering which is your best pick ?

Hmmm.. The truth is, I’m not a fan of crabs. I prefer other seafood like different types of fish sashimi, shell fish, sea urchin etc. Which is why I have never actually visited any restaurant that’s famous for crabs like Kani Honke.

Nanda is the buffet restaurant right? I guess it’s a matter of quantity vs quality then? If you want to eat a lot of crabs, then go for buffet at Nanda. Otherwise, I would think Kani Honke should have better quality than Nanda.

2. Christina says:

Hi bumblebeemum, your Japan posts (especially Hokkaido) are really fantastic!
    I will be travelling to Tokyo in early Nov and would like to tour Hokkaido. If I get the JR EAST & West Hokkaido pass, what places would you recommend? Thanks

3. MC says:

Hi bumblebeemum,
    Thanks a lot for all your informative sharing. Please advice which airport limousine bus should i take if i am staying in APA HOTEL SAPPORO SUSUKINO EKIMISHI? Do both of the airport limousine buses(Hokkaido Chus Bus/Hokuto Kotsu) stop at Susukino Subway Station Exit 4?

The airport limousine bus will stop at where Tokoyo Inn Sapporo Susukino Kosaten is. From there, to get to APA Hotel Sapporo Susukino Ekinishi, you need to walk 600m.

• MC says:

Hi bumblebeemum,

Thank you very much for the useful information and immediately response. It is really helpful in planning my Hokkaido trip.

• MC says:

Dear Bumblebeemum,

You have shared a new way to search Japanese mapcode by using Google map, it is really very useful. Appreciate your thoughtfulness.

I have another question to bother you, where should i buy the airport limousine bus ticket in the airport? Inside the bus or there is a counter selling before I get into the bus?

Thanks in advance and wish you have a wonderful day.

4. cloe says:

hi bumblebeemum
    i would like to know if there are any nice cooked sushi restaurant in either sapporo or otaru? cause we do not eat raw sushi but most of the sushi restaurant i found are all recommending raw sushi.

Hmmm.. When I went to Toppi sushi in Otaru, they had cooked food on their menu. My mum didn’t eat raw, can’t remember what exactly she ate when we were there, but there was definitely food for her to eat. But frankly, there are better food to eat than sushi if you don’t eat raw. I wouldn’t bother going to sushi restaurants if I don’t eat raw. In Otaru, I recommend you visit Minshuku Aotsuka Shokudou (#6 in this post) for their grilled nishin fish. They also have grilled Hakkaku fish which is very interesting.