Home >> Thailand Travel >> Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary

11 Days in Thailand with Kids Our Itinerary - Bumble Bee Mum

If you have been following us on Instagram, you probably know that we were in Thailand last December on a trip that… well, made me feel like I wasn’t in Thailand most of the time.

In the span of 11 days, we went from Bangkok to Pattaya to Bangkok to Ayutthaya to Khao Yai to Middle Earth and finally back to Bangkok again.

But believe it or not, when I booked my flight tickets, I actually only had TWO things I wanted to do. Yes, TWO.

1) See sunflowers

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 17

2) Bring the kids to Kidzania Bangkok

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 18

With that in mind, I had booked air tickets for 11 days in Thailand via Bangkok, thinking it would be totally relaxing.  Everyone even told us we were gonna be bored.  Our conversations with friends and family before the trip ALWAYS went like this:

Friend: Where are you going this December holidays???
Me:  I booked tickets to Bangkok.
Friend: For how long???
Me: 11 days
Friend: WHAT??? 11 DAYS??? What are you going to do there for 11 days??

Well, I got the EXACT same reaction when I booked our family to Phuket for 1 whole week back in September.  It worked out fine and the kids didn’t even want to go home after 7 days.

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 19

Eventually, our 11 days in Thailand was never boring.  Except for that one day we were stuck in the hotel because the husband had food poisoning.  But that’s a story for another day.

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 30

So how did our sunflowers + Kidzania trip end up being so eventful?

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 31

As I was researching for sunflowers in Thailand, I got distracted by Ayutthaya to the East and Khao Yai to the West.  And as I was researching about Kidzania Bangkok, I decided we should also check Sea Life Bangkok Ocean World within the same building. Then I realised Hello Kitty Cafe was across the road and how can I possibly not go to a HELLO KITTY Cafe when it’s right across the road??  And somehow we decided to squeeze in Pattaya as well because we missed our beach holiday in Phuket too much.

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 20

We were also really privileged to have the opportunity to collaborate with Klook Travel, who introduced us to attractions that were initially off our radar and turned out to be great fun! Klook is a travel website / app that allows you to book attraction tickets at prices CHEAPER than if you were to buy at the door.  I was totally hooked to Klook and was constantly surfing their app for places to visit in Bangkok and Pattaya.  So my list of places to visit grew from TWO to, uhmmm… many.

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 37

As with all my big and all-over-the-place adventurous trips, I shall start with sharing with you an outline of my itinerary.

Day 1: Bangkok – Pattaya

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 23

The Bloom by TV Pool

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 24

PB Valley Khao Yai Winery

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 25

Day 10: Khao Yai – Bangkok

Hobbit House (Baan Suan Noi / Baan Hobbit)

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 33

Jim Thompson Farm

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 34

Midwinter Green

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 26

Palio Khao Yai

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 27

Thames Valley (The Castle Restaurant & Tea Room)

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 28

Day 11: Flight home

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 29

Trip Reflection

We booked our return air tickets via Bangkok before planning the itinerary and booking accommodation.  On hindsight, if I knew my itinerary was going to be like what it was, I would have booked air tickets to fly into Pattaya and out from Bangkok.   It was totally dumb to spend 2 hours flying from Singapore to Bangkok, only to hop onto a car transfer for ANOTHER 2 FREAKING HOURS from Bangkok to Pattaya.  Even the kids thought it was dumb, and when we were in the car right after getting off the plane and I told them we had to be in the car for 2 hours to get to our hotel, they were like, “WHAT? 2 hours AGAIN? Are we going back to Singapore?”

So if you are planning to visit the same places as we did, you may want to think about that open-jaw flight option – flying in to Pattaya and out from Bangkok or vice-versa.

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 35Less time on the road = More time vacationing!

Also, I could have done with an extra day in Khao Yai and Ayutthaya.  Especially Ayutthaya.  I didn’t plan to spend too much time in Ayutthaya because I thought the kids would be bored of the ruins if we spent an extra day there.  But turned out MF super loved the ruins and asked why we weren’t spending more time there! If you want to visit Ayutthaya, I really recommend spending at least 2 nights there.  Maybe even 3 if you or your kids are history buffs.

Thailand (Bangkok, Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Khao Yai) with Kids Itinerary 36

Read more from the same trip!

Loading InLinkz ...

Get discounted admission tickets to attractions!

New to Klook? Use our Promo Code KLOOKBBM to get SGD5 off your first booking!

Klook-Promo-Code

Special thanks to our sponsors…

activties_klook          sea-sand-sun-resort-pattaya-logo

11 Days in Thailand with Kids Our Itinerary - Bumble Bee Mum

Linking up with…

This post is part of the following blog hops:

> City Tripping by Mummy Travels and Wander Mum

[yelowbox]Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. (What does this mean?)

1. May says:

Nice! =) Who would have thought right? Thanks for bringing in the other side of Thailand holidays to us. Where did you eventually stay at Bangkok? That hotel room window/view looks familiar!

Can’t believe you were only going there to see sunflowers and visit Kidzania hahaha Glad you planned such a wholesome trip! I was also told that I’d be bored like crazy after one day in Macau. But look at the gems we found. We should be travel agents. =D
    May recently posted…Children and CemetariesMy Profile

2. Mummy Ed says:

Wow! Really so many interesting places to go!
    Mummy Ed recently posted…Fukuoka 2016 – Fukuoka CityMy Profile

Yeah, I’m a bit of a Thailand-convert after this trip. My boys say they wanna go back to the Hobbit House again, and that they want to go with their cousins. Lol… But I want to try going Chiang Mai next time!

3. Maddie says:

Your itineraries are always the best man! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Okay lah, depends on your style of travelling. Some people don’t like to travel the way we do, coz can be quite tiring. I love all kinds of travel, whether it’s city-hopping or resort-bumming! Hahaha…

• anna says:

HI Bumblebeemum, how do you travel from one place to the other? do you book a cab in advance or just hail the cab any where? You know the cab driver will any how charge knowing we are tourist.

I will share more about our transport arrangements when I write more about our travel, but in general we booked private transfers beforehand between Bangkok and Pattaya. Within Pattaya, we hired a driver for the whole day on Day 3. Within Bangkok, we walked. And the rest of the trip, we rented a car and drove ourselves.

4. Choonie says:

Your itinerary looks really exciting. Can I check how do you move from 1 attraction to another? Are there any private transfers like taxi to bring you from 1 place to another like in Taiwan? Thanks!

Yes, there are many private transfers available in Thailand. We did use private transfers to get between Bangkok and Pattaya. But for the rest of it (Ayutthaya / Khao Yai), we rented a car and drove ourselves.

5. Linda says:

Planning to go Pattaya, Suan phueng & Khao yhai this year in 3 different trips for my family. Some of your suggestions looks good. Btw Suan Phueng is another nice place in Thailand which does not look like Thailand to explore.

6. WOW it looks incredible. I had no idea that Bangkok was so child friendly. Can’t believe they have their own Kidzania!

My mum is travelling to Thailand for 17 days next year (without kids though). I’ll share your post with her as I think she’ll love your pics #CityTripping

Hahaha.. I know right, Bangkok didn’t seem like a city that would have a KidZania. But they do!

17 days in Thailand! Wow, your mom is so adventurous!! Thailand is a beautiful country and the locals are so friendly. I’m sure she would have a great time! 🙂

7. It looks amazing and so different to England, I’d lov to visit. #CityTripping

8. Lolo says:

Goodness, your trip looks like a children’s playground! So many fun things for them to do! The adult parts look amazing too! Love to lay on one of those sun chairs or frolic through the sunflower fields haha #CityTripping
    Lolo recently posted…The 13 Fabulous Birthday Gifts for the Lady TravelerMy Profile

Hahaha… I tend to go a bit overboard with the children’s playgrounds sometimes. But I reckoned my kids’ childhood will be over too soon, and this is my only chance to indulge the inner child in me. I can always do those real adult stuff later on when the kids don’t want to stick to me anymore.

9. Hilary says:

Thailand is at the top of my travel wish list, so I loved that you posted this on #citytripping this week! Your photos are beautiful and it’s so nice to see that Thailand is so much more than beaches and temples, although I love those things too!
    Hilary recently posted…I AmsterdamMy Profile

Before this trip, my impression of Thailand was of temples and markets and crowded streets. And of course their gorgeous beach resorts. But the country has so much more to offer than that. I particularly enjoyed the Ayutthaya ruins and sunflower fields – which were nothing like the Thailand I had imagined.

10. What a fantastic trip- I’m sure I wouldn’t have believed half those places were in Thailand! The sunflowers are beautiful and I loved Ayuthaya when I visited long long ago, great to see your itinerary for with kids. Thanks for linking up with #citytripping
    Cathy (Mummytravels) recently posted…City Tripping #60My Profile

11. Thailand look fabulous- we are going for our first trip later in the year! Itinerary yet to be decided but hope to go to Singapore afterwards – there is a hotel there with my name on it!

#citytripping
    Tracy McConnachie Collins recently posted…My friend in Cape Town – South AfricaMy Profile

12. What beautiful pics! We are hoping to do a Singapore and Thailand trip in June so your posts will be very helpful #citytripping
    Wandermust Mummy recently posted…A Day In & Around Montjuic with a BabyMy Profile

Yay! Let me know if you need any help planning for your trip! June is our local school holidays, so don’t be puzzled if you find yourself surrounded by local kids even on weekdays when you’re here. :p

13. Ruth says:

Simply amazing! Not sure why people think 11 days in Thailand would end up being boring. There is so much to see in Thailand and Bangkok has so many things to see, do and eat. Looks like things have changed since I visited. Looks like there are a lot of new and fun ways to spend time. #citytripping
    Ruth recently posted…14 Things to See in BratislavaMy Profile

Maybe because they thought I would be spending 11 days in Bangkok. Most Singaporeans just fly to Bangkok and do Bangkok for a couple of days and fly back. So my friends were shocked that I booked tickets for 11 days. Lol…

14. I love how your itinerary very quickly expanded. Easy to do though in Thailand. It’s a great country. Im impressed your son enjoyed Ayuthaya. I need to revisit Thailand sometime – I’ve not been with the kids. #citytripping
    Elizabeth (Wander Mum) recently posted…My Travel Wishlist For 2017My Profile

He really surprised me with his interest in Ayutthaya. Thailand didn’t strike me as a country for kids before, but I’ve totally changed my mind after this trip. If you have the chance, do bring your kids there. Maybe when the younger one is a bit older though. I think 4 years old is a nice age to start exploring Thailand – because they can start to appreciate the history and culture. There’s so much to see and learn and play!

15. eve says:

Where do you stay in Khao Yai?

16. Jeannie Ng says:

Hi,

Can i check with you is it easy to self drive from bangkok to Pattaya and from pattaya to khao yai by ourselves?

Planning to go in december

It can be a bit stressful to drive within Pattaya. In between the cities, the expressways are very easy to drive. But within Pattaya, the traffic was pretty heavy and messy. I was quite glad we had a driver to bring us around Pattaya.

Between the cities, the expressway is very easy to drive. So my take is, it’s okay to rent a car to get between cities. And if you are leaving Bangkok / Pattaya, make sure you leave outside peak hours. (We left Bangkok on a Sunday morning and avoided all of Bangkok’s notorious jams.) But I wouldn’t really drive within Bangkok or Pattaya.

Khao Yai is okay to drive around though. Route 1016 and Thanaratch Road are very easy to drive. The only part that is challenging about driving in Khao Yai is when you need to use Thanon Mittraphap (the big yellow road on google map where Dairy Home Restaurant / Farm Chokchai are located). It is essentially a busy expressway where you need to constantly make U-turns with no traffic lights to help you. Takes a bit of guts and good judgement, and you need to be a pretty skilled driver to gauge when you can make those U-turns safely while big lorries, cars & motorbikes are continuously speeding down the expressways. My gutsy husband did the U-turns at least 10 times and survived. I think I would have waited at the U-turn forever for the traffic to clear and caused a huge queue behind me at the U-turns!